Aidan Monaghan/Twentieth Century Fox Film Corporation
Moviegoers aren't interested in seeing grown men fly. Both Pan, the Peter Pan origin story, and The Walk, a biopic on French wire-walker Phillippe Petit, who crossed between the World Trade Center towers on a thin piece of rope, both bombed at the box office.
Pan, which cost at least $150 million to produce, opened to a franchise-killing $15.5 million and second place, proving that neither families nor critics cared for the fairy tale.
Meanwhile, the Robert Zemeckis-directed The Walk opened to a dismal $3.65 million in its second weekend of limited release and didn't even crack the top five. The would-be awards contender is unlikely to recoup its $35 million budget.
For the second weekend in a row, first place went to sci-fi flick The Martian, starring Matt Damon. The film grossed $37 million for an impressive domestic total of $108.7 million.
Coming in second was animated film Hotel Transylvania 2, while The Intern and Sicario rounded out the top five.
At the specialty box office, the controversial biopic Steve Jobs is already breaking records in limited release, and is likely to draw huge audiences when it opens wide in the coming weeks.
Next weekend, Steven Spielberg's Bridge of Spies has its turn at bat for both box office dollars and Oscar buzz. And if you're not feeling any of the big-budget films playing at your local cineplex, check out the Misty Copeland documentary, A Ballerina's Tale, which will be out in select theaters and on VOD. See an exclusive clip from the film, below:
BET.com is your No. 1 source for Black celebrity news, photos, exclusive videos and all the latest in the world of hip hop and R&B music.
(Photo: Aidan Monaghan/Twentieth Century Fox Film Corporation)
- Gayle King Helped Plan Son's Recent Engagement"And I now have a favorite daughter-in-law to be,” said the "CBS Mornings" co-host.02/27/2024
- Keyshia Cole Surprises Middle Schoolers With “Love” Performance During RecitalThe Grammy-nominated singer performed with students at the Ron Clark Academy in Atlanta.02/27/2024
- ‘Where Is Wendy Williams?’ Producers Claim They Didn’t Know The Famed Host Was Diagnosed With Dementia"If we had known that Wendy had dementia going into it, no one would’ve rolled a camera,” said producer Mark Ford.02/27/2024
- Diddy Accused of Sexual Assault By Former Male EmployeeThe allegations against the entertainment mogul come from a former producer and videographer who most recently worked on the "Love" album.02/27/2024
- Halle Berry And Halle Bailey Link Up At Soccer Game In Los Angeles"I was living for this moment!!" said "The Little Mermaid" star.02/27/2024
- Beyoncé’s ‘Texas Hold ‘Em’ Takes the Number One Spot On Billboard Hot 100The song is her ninth number-one hit on the chart and her first since “Break My Soul” in 2022.02/27/2024