Doctor Tried To Revive Shanquella Robinson Multiple Times Before Her Death, Police Report Shows

Mystery surrounds the death of the North Carolina tourist at a resort in Mexico.

Shanquella Robinson, the 25-year-old North Carolina woman who died under mysterious circumstances in Mexico, was alive for almost three hours while a local doctor treated her, according to The Charlotte Observer, citing information it obtained from a police report.

This revelation contradicts her death certificate, which said that Robinson died within 15 minutes after suffering a spinal cord injury. She was vacationing in October with friends at a luxury resort in Cabo San Lucas.

The Observer received a copy of the police report, which was not released to the public, from Gerardo Zuñiga, an investigative reporter for the MetropoliMx. The Spanish-language news outlet first reported this news on Monday (Nov. 21).

Robinson, a Charlotte native, traveled to Cabo to celebrate a friend’s birthday. The group of seven left from North Carolina on Oct. 28 and one day into the trip Robinson was dead.

A friend told Robinson’s mother that she passed away from alcohol poisoning. But Robinson’s family became suspicious when a Mexican autopsy report said the cause of death was “severe spinal cord injury and atlas luxation,” a form of neck injury.

Meanwhile, a now viral video shows a woman punching a naked woman multiple times in the face, as an unseen person is heard egging them on. Robinson’s mother identified the victim in the video as her daughter.

RELATED: FBI Investigation Launched Into Shanquella Robinson's Mysterious Death

According to the newspaper, the police report revealed that Wenter Donovan, a Greensboro resident traveling with the group of friends, called for medical assistance at 2:13 p.m. on Oct. 29. Dr. Karolina Beatriz Ornelas Gutiérrez, of the American Medical Center, was told that Robinson had “drunk a lot of alcohol” and needed an IV.

Gutiérrez found Robinson with stable vital signs but dehydrated, the Observer reported. The doctor wanted to transfer Robinson to a hospital, but her friends wanted her treated at the villa. About an hour later, Robinson began having a seizure that lasted less than a minute. A 911 call was made to request an ambulance. At 4:49, Gutiérrez and the friends began CPR when the doctor observed that Robinson’s pulse stopped.

The Observer reported that the police arrived and spoke with Gutiérrez at 5:25 p.m. It’s unclear what time an ambulance finally arrived, but paramedics  “administered a total of 14 rounds of CPR, five doses of adrenaline and six discharges (AED shocks) without success.” Gutiérrez declared Robinson dead at 5:57 p.m.

RELATED: Shanquella Robinson Laid To Rest As The Investigation Surrounding Her Death In Cabo Continues

Mexican authorities are investigating Robinson’s death as a possible femicide, a gender-based murder of a female by a man, according to the Observer.

Robinson’s family wants answers about what exactly happened. In a GoFundMe campaign, Robinson’s sister, Quilla Long, wrote, “The United States State Department released a statement claiming ‘no clear evidence of foul play,’ yet there is a video circulating of a woman violently attacking Shanquella.”

The New York Times reported that the F.B.I. confirmed that it opened an investigation into Robinson’s death but had no further comment.

“We offer our sincerest condolences to the family on their loss. Out of respect for their privacy, we have no further comment at this time,” the State Department said, according to The Times.

Latest News

Subscribe for BET Updates

Provide your email address to receive our newsletter.

By clicking subscribe, I agree to receive newsletters, marketing communications, updates, special offers (including partner offers), and other information from BET and the Paramount family of companies. For more information about our data practices, consult our Privacy Policy.