Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images
The NFL hasn't had a notorious dog abuse incident since Michael Vick nearly 10 years ago.
However, People is reporting that ex-NFL player Terrence Cody was slapped with a nine-month jail sentence by a Baltimore County judge last week, stemming from a 2015 conviction, which involved the starvation of his dog.
Cody, who won a Super Bowl with the Baltimore Ravens in 2013, brought his Canary Mastiff, Taz, to the vet in January 2015, when it was nearly 50 pounds underweight. It died hours later, as reported by People.
Although he was acquitted of two felony counts of animal cruelty, Cody was convicted of misdemeanor neglect charges in November, before last week's sentencing.
Prosecutors believe Cody had Taz holed up in a crate in his garage over the winter, among the dog's own urine, feces and blood.
Ironically, Cody has two other dogs who were well taken care of.
Prosecutor Adam Lippe compared this kind of animal neglect to certain types of child abuse.
"We see this a lot: It's a nice, happy family, but you'll see this one child is horribly abused," Lippe told People. "He treated [Taz] like a guard dog. It wasn't a family pet. What I surmise is that this dog did something. He did something where [Cody] said, 'You're going into the penalty box.'"
Cody's lawyer says Taz was put in the garage because the family feared he had worms.
"He clearly misidentified what was wrong with the dog and let the lack of treatment go beyond what it should have," Cody's attorney Joe Murtha told People.
Sad story any way you look at it.
BET Sports News — Get the latest news and information about African-Americans in sports, including weekly recaps, celebrity news and photos of your favorite Black athletes.
(Photo: Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images)
- Drink Recipes Inspired by 'All the Queen's Men' CharactersTake a sip of these delicious concoctions inspired by the series!03/04/2024
- Celebrating Timeless Love: Five Unforgettable Black TV Couples Who Defined Relationship GoalsFrom the comedic highs of Martin and Gina to the journey of Rainbow and Dre, these iconic Black TV couples continue to inspire and reflect the complexities of love.03/04/2024
- 2024 NAACP Image Awards: Kyla Pratt's Enduring Charm: 7 Memorable Roles from Child Star to Adult ActressThe NAACP Image Award nominee has been active in the entertainment biz since the ‘90s.03/04/2024
- Ayesha Curry And Steph Curry Are Pregnant With Baby No. 4Ayesha shared the news while posing on the cover of her online magazine, Sweet July.03/01/2024
- Terrence Howard Faces $903,115 Tax Bill Amidst Claims of Injustice and Slavery LegacyThe actor cited “Four hundred years of forced labor and never receiving any compensation for it,” as part of his decision to avoid paying his taxes.03/01/2024
- Nas Joins Resort World's $5 Billion Casino Expansion In QueensThe vision of Aqueduct Park is to transform the casino, in the legendary rapper's hometown, into a full-fledged establishment that mirrors the company's properties in Las Vegas.03/01/2024