(Photo: NBC/NBCU Photo Bank via Getty Images)
With the coronavirus pandemic preventing many from celebrating Mother’s Day with loved ones, Boyz II Men and Kenneth “Babyface” Edmonds came together for a specially uplifting rendition of their 1996 classic, “A Song For Mama” on Saturday Night Live.
The legendary musicians joined forces for the Mother’s Day tribute during the season finale of SNL At Home on Friday (May 9).
SNL’s Michael Che, who lost his grandmother to coronavirus in April, introduced them as the musical guests of Friday’s episode with a special message for those missing their mothers or who have lost loved ones to the pandemic.
“On behalf of SNL, we’d like to send a very special tribute to all of the mothers that can’t be with their children this year and all of the mothers that we’ve lost,” Che said
The segment then cut to the R&B trio soulfully singing the track, shot in black-and-white, socially-distanced inside their respective studios and homes, with Babyface providing some smooth acoustic guitar instrumentals. While they were singing, a collage of photos featuring various SNL’s cast members with their own mothers were shown throughout the performance.
Boyz II Men and Babyface were the third and final SNL At Home musical guests, following Coldplay frontman Chris Martin covering Bob Dylan’s “Shelter From The Storm,” and Miley Cyrus' performance of Pink Floyd’s “Wish You Were Here,” according to Rolling Stone.
Watch Boyz II Men’s touching performance of “A Song For Mama” for yourself below:
- 2024 NAACP Image Awards: 7 Key Roles that Define Michael B. Jordan's CareerDive into all of the career-defining TV and movie roles that skyrocketed Jordan to superstardom, from HBO’s “The Wire” to the blockbuster “Creed” franchise.02/23/2024
- 2024 NAACP Image Awards: Queen of Documentaries: 5 Powerful Non-Fiction Films Directed by Ava DuVernayThe award-winning director has a knack for using her powerful lens to depict groundbreaking stories that tackle music, race, culture, and corrupt systems.02/23/2024
- Demi Singleton Says Her 'Bass Reeves' Character Changed How She Saw Her LifeSingleton shares her journey, challenges, and the empowering impact of bringing to light the untold stories of Black heroes in American history.02/23/2024
- 'Tyler Perry’s Sistas': Five Plot Twists That Could Happen With Karen’s BabySistas has so many twists and turns that it’s hard not to imagine the other crazy things that could pop up about Karen’s baby.02/22/2024
- DC Young Fly Pleads For The Return Of His Bag That Contained Jack Oh's Death CertificateThe comedian’s bag was allegedly stolen in Los Angeles at the Hollywood Improv Comedy Club.02/22/2024
- Wendy Williams Diagnosed With Frontotemporal Dementia And AphasiaHer medical team says both conditions have “presented significant hurdles” in her life.02/22/2024