(Photo: Katee Reddin Petro via GoFundMe)
Family and friends are mourning the loss of a 12-year-old student at Copeland Middle School who tragically took her own life after being the victim of bullying, reported NBC New York.
Last week, Mallory Grossman, a cheerleader in Rockaway Township, New Jersey, committed suicide after being bullied on Snapchat, said friends.
Family and friends told News 4 the young girl’s mother often complained to the school about the alleged bullying. Even on the day Mallory died, her mother went to the school to report the bullying.
On Monday, students at Copeland Middle School wore light blue clothing in order to spread awareness and stop bullying.
Although the school superintendent has not made a comment, the school district’s website says last year's anti-bullying assessment of Rockaway Township indicates strengths in the areas of curriculum and instruction, investigation procedures and incident reporting.
Mallory’s former gymnastics coach said she was a “sweet, smart, kind, quiet” child and teachers should be lookouts for troubling incidents.
“Teachers have to be vigilant, always,” coach Paula Gehman told News 4. “At any age, something is going to happen. Somebody’s going to push somebody around. Just stop it.”
A GoFundMe page set up for Grossman’s family has raised more than $65,000 to help with funeral expenses. Grossman will be laid to rest Tuesday.
The Morris County Prosecutor's Office says Grossman’s death is under investigation.
If you are in crisis, call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 800-273-8255 or reach out to the Crisis Text Line by texting ‘Home’ to 741741.
- This Week In Good Black News: Rihanna, A$AP Rocky in Fenty Film; Beyoncé Tops Billboard 100 With "Texas Hold Em"; Russell Westbrook to Build Affordable Housing in LAPlus, the Philadelphia Orchestra renames its concert hall after legendary singer Marian Anderson.03/01/2024
- Aldis and Edwin Hodge on Breaking Down Doors for Black Voices in Sci-Fi with ParallelThe brothers spoke to BET about their new sci-film.03/01/2024
- Wendy Williams' Publicist Regrets Being In Lifetime DocumentaryShawn Zanotti said she would not have participated in the docuseries if she had been aware that it wasn't going to celebrate the former TV personality's career.02/29/2024
- Method Man’s Daughter Releases New MusicGoing by the rap moniker Chey, her latest song “Boujee & Ghetto" has almost 50,000 views in the first week of its release on YouTube.02/29/2024
- Kodak Black Delivers His Fourth Child HimselfThe Florida rapper welcomed the newborn on Feb.27.02/29/2024
- Five Facts About 'The Oval’s' Javon JohnsonThe actor is passionate about the craft of acting and mentoring aspiring minds.02/29/2024