On Monday, it was announced that Black-ish creator Kenya Barris has been tapped to write and direct the reimagining of the Wizard Of Oz for Warner Bros, according to Deadline.
The movie is set to take a modern spin on the film, and since it’s still in the early stages, no actors have been cast yet. But here at BET.com, we decided to take it upon ourselves and do a fantasy casting on who we would like to see portray some of the classic characters in the modern reimagining, you know, just to help with the process.
Dorothy - Marsai Martin
Photo by Robin L Marshall/Getty Images
Martin has truly grown before our eyes and has already stamped herself in Hollywood as a promising actor and producer. The actress has worked with Barris in the past so it should be a walk in the park when it comes to being on set with each other. She’s one of Hollywood’s Princesses and this movie role could be a huge break for her. The 18-year-old has shown the world she’s versatile in many ways — this film can add to the range of this future legend.
Tin Man - Marlon Wayans
Photo: Andrew H. Walker/Getty Images
Speaking of range, Wayans has always been known as a comedian onscreen but recently has shown the world a different side in an episode of Bel-Air where he played Will’s estranged father, Lou. The Tin Man goes through an emotional rollercoaster despite not having a heart which would be fitting to continue to show Wayans versatility as an actor.
Cowardly Lion - Nicco Annan
Leon Bennett/STA 2020/Getty Images for BET
Uncle Clifford exudes confidence, whereas the Cowardly Lion is on a journey to build his. This would give audiences a different view of Annan as an actor with the ability to show his range and vulnerable side in this role.
Scarecrow - Ne-Yo
Photo: Eugene Gologursky/WireImage
The R&B singer has voiced he would love to participate in other acting roles to showcase more than his singing chops and this role would be able to give viewers both. Can you imagine the fun dance breaks we would get, too?
Glinda - Lizzo
Lizzo has such a commanding presence and a natural charm, which would make her perfect to play the Good Witch Of The South. Just imagine in her land, there would be twerk contests, good eats, and 24/7 fun. She’s very youthful, encouraging, and charming which is what Glinda has been known for.
Miss Gultch, The Wicked Witch Of The West - Dominique Jackson
This actress delivered an iconic role as Elektra in the FX hit series Pose with her captivating scenes, sharp-tongued delivery, and glamorous costuming which overall made the character iconic. Jackson has proven that she can walk in the room and command attention, something the role of Miss Gultch would need.
The Wizard - Jim Carrey
You already know Carrey is going to deliver funny one-liners and add to the comic relief in the film. Just imagine him as the shady wizard and making empty promises. Carrey will give us an unforgettable performance while onscreen and can support the actors with engaging back-and-forth dialogue.
- Gayle King Helped Plan Son's Recent Engagement"And I now have a favorite daughter-in-law to be,” said the "CBS Mornings" co-host.02/27/2024
- Keyshia Cole Surprises Middle Schoolers With “Love” Performance During RecitalThe Grammy-nominated singer performed with students at the Ron Clark Academy in Atlanta.02/27/2024
- ‘Where Is Wendy Williams?’ Producers Claim They Didn’t Know The Famed Host Was Diagnosed With Dementia"If we had known that Wendy had dementia going into it, no one would’ve rolled a camera,” said producer Mark Ford.02/27/2024
- Diddy Accused of Sexual Assault By Former Male EmployeeThe allegations against the entertainment mogul come from a former producer and videographer who most recently worked on the "Love" album.02/27/2024
- Halle Berry And Halle Bailey Link Up At Soccer Game In Los Angeles"I was living for this moment!!" said "The Little Mermaid" star.02/27/2024
- Beyoncé’s ‘Texas Hold ‘Em’ Takes the Number One Spot On Billboard Hot 100The song is her ninth number-one hit on the chart and her first since “Break My Soul” in 2022.02/27/2024