BET BUZZ 2020
Kobe Bryant’s influence and the extent of his impact on sports can still be felt today. If you look at the NBA, many players have switched to only wearing Bryant’s signature line. Similarly, there’s a couple who’ve gotten tattoos to commemorate the late five-time champion as his “Mamba Mentality” mantra, for many, has become a way of life.
Such was the case around the world at large Wednesday, as it was the two-year anniversary of Kobe’s untimely fatal helicopter crash.
Only, Zaya Wade — Miami Heat legend Dwayne Wade’s daughter who has only recently come out as transgender — wasn’t afforded the luxury of honoring her father’s late on-the-court rival and his daughter who accompanied him the day of the tragedy.
Taking to Instagram, the 14-year-old tried showing love to the Bryants, wearing a #8 jersey dress and captioning the post, "always remembering and honoring Kobe and Gianna," only for she and her father to be attacked for the gesture by former No. 1 overall pick, Kwame Brown.
“You are letting your woman control your house," Kwame said speaking to Wade during his "Bust Life" YouTube show on Thursday (Jan 28). Brown went on to say that the three-time Miami Heat champion needed to "level up as a man."
"I'm not saying there's anything against homosexuals, but [Kobe] is a heterosexual man. Why is he being honored by making his jersey into a dress? Wear his goddamn jersey for the day to honor him without the dress part," Brown went on.
"Let's please not show our Black brother in this light. This is no offense to [anybody]else. This man was a heterosexual man with a wife and a family. There's no reason for this to be tied to Kobe Bryant. None whatsoever," he added.
It’s unclear what Brown’s intentions were given Wade has been nothing but supportive of Zaya, often coming to her defense in light of comments of the sort. The “Flash” clearly liked the dress, commenting "girl dad" in the comments on Zaya's post.
- Judge Rules That Texas School District's Suspension of Darryl George Over Length of His Locs Did Not Violate CROWN ACTDarryl George, an 18-year-old student at Barbers Hill High School was first suspended from regular classes on Aug. 31, because he did not comply with the dress code.02/23/2024
- DDG Gets Candid On How He And Halle Bailey Got Pregnant After Nearly Two Years Of Dating“We weren’t aiming for a baby, but it just kinda happened,” said the rapper.02/23/2024
- Howard University To Debut First HBCU Ice Skating TeamThe intercollegiate skating team will face the University of Delaware in its first competition.02/23/2024
- Porsha Williams Files For Divorce From Simon Guobadia After 15 Months Of MarriageAccording to a source, their split is "unrelated to recent allegations involving Simon's past," but rather, an "ongoing matter."02/23/2024
- Wendy Williams Finds Support in Blac Chyna Amidst Health Struggles: A Revealing Look in New Lifetime Documentary"Where Is Wendy Williams?" premieres on Saturday, February 24 at 8 p.m.02/23/2024
- Jermaine Dupri Confirms That Unreleased Usher Track Is Finally AvailableTaking to social media, the award-winning producer said that “Believe” will drop on February 23.02/23/2024