A resident of Prince George's County, MD, and other members of the community are pushing for a boycott of a BP gas station after an employee used a racial slur.
Last Thursday, Rachel Sherman was at a BP service station in Largo questioning an employee about the cost of vehicle inspections. Sherman said the employee was trying to overcharge her brother, reported WJLA.
“My brother called me and said well the guy is telling me it’s 100 dollars and it’s cash only I said that didn’t sound right," Sherman told the news station.
The cost of inspection is normally $30.
“And as I turned to walk away, his exact words to me were ‘And we usually charge n****rs more,'" Sherman added.
Right after the racial slur was hurled, Sherman discussed her experience in a video that she shared on Facebook. The viral video has been viewed more than half a million times, and Sherman is gaining support from her community.
"And to see the entire community come behind me and say we are not going to let this happen to you or anybody else, it empowered me," Sherman said.
The day after the incident, the employee was fired.
Now Sherman and local activists such as LaTasha Ward have called for a boycott of this business.
“People are just tired of it," Ward told WJLA. "We would like to be able to shop and support people’s business but we want good customer service as well.”
Sherman and Ward hope this BP takes a more active role in supporting the community that gives them business.
“My biggest hope was to send a message to not only this gas station but to other businesses in this community that don’t value us, any minority or any customer," Sherman said. "We want to see that they want to be a part of this community and that they value the customers here. I’m not sure how they can do that from a business standpoint but we need to see more progress."
- Wendy Williams' Publicist Regrets Being In Lifetime DocumentaryShawn Zanotti said she would not have participated in the docuseries if she had been aware that it wasn't going to celebrate the former TV personality's career.02/29/2024
- Method Man’s Daughter Releases New MusicGoing by the rap moniker Chey, her latest song “Boujee & Ghetto" has almost 50,000 views in the first week of its release on YouTube.02/29/2024
- Kodak Black Delivers His Fourth Child HimselfThe Florida rapper welcomed the newborn on Feb.27.02/29/2024
- Tory Lanez Files New Appeal Over Megan Thee Stallion VerdictThe Canadian rapper is currently serving a 10-year sentence at North Kern State Prison in California.02/29/2024
- Opinion: Lifetime's 'Where Is Wendy Williams?' Documentary Should Raise Concerns Over Ethics and AccountabilityThe producers displayed insensitivity and a lack of regard for Wendy's well-being, and people should be outraged by it.02/29/2024
- 2024 NAACP Image Awards: 5 Instances Where Ari Lennox Redefined Modern R&BThe powerful vocalist has used her endearing music to usher in a new sound for modern R&B.02/29/2024