Photo: Marc Piasecki/GC Images
Vogue has a history of Christopher Columbusing credit to white celebrities for trends people of color began way prior and they’re doing it again with the Kardashians.
In a Friday (March 15) article, the fashion and lifestyle magazine credited Kim Kardashian for bringing back crimped hair. The reality star and businesswoman rocked a mix of kanekalon and yaki ponytails during fashion month and Chance The Rapper’s wedding, among other public sightings.
While styles do come back-and-forth into trendiness, crimped hair has never really departed from the mainstream. As Vibe notes, Beyonce, Janet Jackson, Nicki Minaj and countless others have rocked the look numerous times over the years. Social media users also caught wind on Vogue’s post and criticized them, including actor O’Shea Jackson Jr.
“Maaaaaaan come on now. Come ooooon now. Bringing it back? Vogue stop this,” he tweeted under the article.
This isn’t the first time Vogue is accused of cultural appropriation. Just last October the magazine published a photo of Kendall Jenner in a hairstyle resembling an Afro.
- Fireboy DML Is Ready To Drop Gems From His Year of GrowthThe Nigerian pop superstar retraces his musical journey with BET as he discusses his next studio album and his hopes for the future of African music.02/26/2024
- 2024 NAACP Image Awards: 7 Duet Partners and Featured Artists that Elevated H.E.R.'s TracksHer epic collaborations are among the best parts of the R&B singer’s award-winning catalog.02/26/2024
- Judge Rules That Texas School District's Suspension of Darryl George Over Length of His Locs Did Not Violate CROWN ACTDarryl George, an 18-year-old student at Barbers Hill High School was first suspended from regular classes on Aug. 31, because he did not comply with the dress code.02/23/2024
- DDG Gets Candid On How He And Halle Bailey Got Pregnant After Nearly Two Years Of Dating“We weren’t aiming for a baby, but it just kinda happened,” said the rapper.02/23/2024
- Howard University To Debut First HBCU Ice Skating TeamThe intercollegiate skating team will face the University of Delaware in its first competition.02/23/2024
- Porsha Williams Files For Divorce From Simon Guobadia After 15 Months Of MarriageAccording to a source, their split is "unrelated to recent allegations involving Simon's past," but rather, an "ongoing matter."02/23/2024