UPDATE: Anthony Horowitz is trying to walk back his offensive statements about Idris Elba as James Bond. "I'm really sorry my comments about Idris Elba have caused offence," Horowitz responded to the backlash in a statement. "That wasn't my intention. I was asked in my interview if Idris Elba would make a good James Bond. In the article I expressed the opinion that to my mind Adrian Lester would be a better choice but I'm a writer not a casting director so what do I know?
"Clumsily, I chose the word 'street' as Elba's gritty portrayal of DCI John Luther was in my mind but I admit it was a poor choice of word. I am mortified to have caused offence."
The ongoing rally to have Idris Elba fill the role of the iconic James Bond reached new heights this year, but despite the collective public approval, 007 author Anthony Horowitz isn't here for the idea. While speaking with UK newspaper the Daily Mail, he even took it a bit further, essentially saying that Elba is too Black for the role.
"Idris Elba is a terrific actor, but I can think of other Black actors who would do it better," he said. "For me, Idris Elba is a bit too rough to play the part. It's not a color issue. I think he is probably a bit too 'street' for Bond. Is it a question of being suave? Yeah."
Aside from the highly insulting stereotype of referring to the actor as "street," is it just us, or is Elba not the definition of suave? As for who fits Horowitz's bill for the role, he said African-English actorAdrian Lester from the BBC series Hustle would be a much better choice. Nonetheless, Horowitz's coded language is clearly problematic. What do you think?
Watch Idris Elba coyly talk about his sex symbol status in the BET.com video below:
BET.com is your No. 1 source for Black celebrity news, photos, exclusive videos and all the latest in the world of hip hop and R&B music.
- Sydney McLaughlin-Levrone Talks Her New Book ‘Far Beyond Gold Running From Fear To FaithIn her memoir, the Olympic gold medalist explores her journey and all the obstacles she had to overcome to become one of the greatest track and field athletes ever.02/23/2024
- 2024 NAACP Image Awards: 7 Key Roles that Define Michael B. Jordan's CareerDive into all of the career-defining TV and movie roles that skyrocketed Jordan to superstardom, from HBO’s “The Wire” to the blockbuster “Creed” franchise.02/23/2024
- 2024 NAACP Image Awards: Queen of Documentaries: 5 Powerful Non-Fiction Films Directed by Ava DuVernayThe award-winning director has a knack for using her powerful lens to depict groundbreaking stories that tackle music, race, culture, and corrupt systems.02/23/2024
- Demi Singleton Says Her 'Bass Reeves' Character Changed How She Saw Her LifeSingleton shares her journey, challenges, and the empowering impact of bringing to light the untold stories of Black heroes in American history.02/23/2024
- 'Tyler Perry’s Sistas': Five Plot Twists That Could Happen With Karen’s BabySistas has so many twists and turns that it’s hard not to imagine the other crazy things that could pop up about Karen’s baby.02/22/2024
- DC Young Fly Pleads For The Return Of His Bag That Contained Jack Oh's Death CertificateThe comedian’s bag was allegedly stolen in Los Angeles at the Hollywood Improv Comedy Club.02/22/2024