(Photo: ANGELA WEISS/AFP/Getty Images)
Former President Bill Clinton detailed his love for Aretha Franklin in a 12-minute tribute at her funeral on Friday. During the moving speech, Clinton revealed that before he and Hillary entered the world of politics, they followed the “Queen of Soul.”
“We started out not as a president, a first lady, a senator, a secretary of state,” Clinton said at a funeral service in Detroit.
“We started out as like, Aretha groupies or something,” Clinton said.
Clinton went on to explain how Aretha had a “breakthrough” in her career when he and Hillary graduated from college.
“This woman got us all here in these seats today,” Clinton said. “Not because she had this breathtaking talent, which she did. Not because she grew up … at least a princess of soul because of her father, her mother, her relatives. But because she lived with courage – not without fear, but overcoming her fears. She lived with faith – not without failure, but overcoming her failures. She lived with power – not without weakness, but overcoming her weaknesses.”
“I just loved her,” Clinton continued.
The moment Bill Clinton said the word 'groupie,' people developed a newfound love for the former president
It will surely go down as one of the best moments from the ceremony
Even as president, Clinton had a special relationship with Franklin, who performed at his 1993 presidential inauguration. In 1999, Clinton awarded the singer the National Medal of Arts and Humanities.
Clinton finished his comments with a tribute to one of Aretha's most popular songs, "Think." Clinton pulled out his cellphone and played a snippet for the people in the church.
“It’s the key to freedom!” Clinton exclaimed. “God bless you, Aretha. We love you!”
- Gayle King Helped Plan Son's Recent Engagement"And I now have a favorite daughter-in-law to be,” said the "CBS Mornings" co-host.02/27/2024
- Keyshia Cole Surprises Middle Schoolers With “Love” Performance During RecitalThe Grammy-nominated singer performed with students at the Ron Clark Academy in Atlanta.02/27/2024
- ‘Where Is Wendy Williams?’ Producers Claim They Didn’t Know The Famed Host Was Diagnosed With Dementia"If we had known that Wendy had dementia going into it, no one would’ve rolled a camera,” said producer Mark Ford.02/27/2024
- Diddy Accused of Sexual Assault By Former Male EmployeeThe allegations against the entertainment mogul come from a former producer and videographer who most recently worked on the "Love" album.02/27/2024
- Halle Berry And Halle Bailey Link Up At Soccer Game In Los Angeles"I was living for this moment!!" said "The Little Mermaid" star.02/27/2024
- Beyoncé’s ‘Texas Hold ‘Em’ Takes the Number One Spot On Billboard Hot 100The song is her ninth number-one hit on the chart and her first since “Break My Soul” in 2022.02/27/2024