Florida A&M University has reached a settlement with the family of a drum major who died after being hazed by fellow band members.
A university spokesman says the $1.1 million settlement of the negligence lawsuit by Robert Champion's family was reached Friday.
FAMU spokeswoman Lisa Brock says the settlement terms include both monetary and nonmonetary terms.
Champion — of Decatur, Georgia — died after band members pummeled him with fists and mallets aboard a bus parked outside an Orlando hotel in November 2011. The hazing ritual, known as "Crossing Bus C," was carried out after FAMU band members had performed at an annual football game with a rival.
Champion's family says the university should have taken stronger measures to crack down on hazing by band members.
BET National News - Keep up to date with breaking news stories from around the nation, including headlines from the hip hop and entertainment world.
Watch: Hazing at HBCUs: Students Dying to Be Accepted in the video below.
(Photo: Joseph Brown II/The Tampa Tribune/AP Photo)
- Dylan Dilinjah Says Dave Chappelle’s Classic ‘Making the Band’ Sketch Ruined His CareerThe Brooklyn rapper said that the skit made it hard to get his career off the ground.03/04/2024
- Beyoncé Shares How She Shops Incognito At TargetIn a recent interview, the 32-time Grammy winner shared how she goes undetected at her favorite retail store.03/04/2024
- Scottie Pippen And Larsa Pippen Sued For $250 Million By His Alleged Ex-Girlfriend For Stalking And HarassmentChyvette Valentine claims she dated the former Chicago Bulls player between 1987 and 1993.03/04/2024
- Twin! Where Have You Been?! Muni Long Surprises And Inspires Screaming Brooklyn StudentsThe viral “Made For Me” singer stuns unsuspecting Brooklyn students.03/04/2024
- Rihanna Performs At Wedding In India For Multi-Billionaire HeirRiRi rocked the house while looking stunning per usual.03/04/2024
- Terry Crews Opens Up About Beating His Abusive Father On 'Club Shay Shay'The actor shared a big lesson on forgiveness and healing.03/04/2024