The Oscars are happening this Sunday and over the last couple of years it has faced criticism regarding its lack of diversity and inclusion, and this year wasn’t an exception. With talents like Danielle Deadwyler (Till) and Viola Davis (The Woman King) failing to secure nominations for their poignant roles and films, the Academy of Motion Pictures Arts and Sciences once again came under scrutiny.
But there were a few silver linings, such as Angela Bassett becoming the first Marvel actress to receive a “Best Supporting Actress” nom for Black Panther: Wakanda Forever. And we all know, over here at BET, we’re always rooting for everyone Black!
While we watch the ceremony, let's appreciate and highlight the achievements of Black artists, as well as those from other marginalized communities. By doing so, we not only honor their hard work and talent, but we also send a message to the world that diversity and inclusivity matter.
As we wait with bated breath for Sunday’s ceremony, we’ve compiled a list of some of the potential Blackest moments we hope to see!
Angela Bassett Ends The Season Winning Best Supporting Actress
Has she not given us everything? The 64-year-old actress has always been a star and deserved “Best Actress” for What’s Love Got To Do With it, but this award season, the critics are giving the actress her just do, and maybe the Academy might follow suit this Sunday. After winning “Best Supporting Actress” at the Golden Globes Awards, NAACP Image Awards, and Critics Choice Awards for portraying Queen Ramonda in Black Panther: Wakanda Forever, one can only hope she’ll leave with her rightfully deserved Oscar. If she doesn’t, we need the camera to pan to Tyler James Williams and give us his iconic “breaking the fourth wall” look.
Ariana DeBose and Angela Bassett Recreating The Viral BAFTA Performance
Photo: ABC via Getty Images
DeBose hosted the BAFTA Awards and went viral for her opening performance before getting to her hosting duties. The iconic line “Angela Bassett did the thing” with the dance move has taken social media by storm. Even Angela mentioned the moment during her acceptance speech at the NAACP Image Awards. It would be a win for Black Twitter if we could get these two actresses on stage to announce an award together and recreate the moment together. Talk about a possible top meme of the year!
Lenny Kravitz Performing During This Year’s ‘In Memoriam’
While we celebrate our stars who are still with us, we have to take a moment to remember those who have moved on to glory. And what better person to do it than Lenny Kravitz, who will deliver a performance during the ceremony? It’s not often you get a performance from the rock musician, but I’m sure the 58-year-old is rehearsing to give us a performance we’ll discuss for weeks.
Rihanna’s Performance For ‘Lift Me Up’
Our bad gyal, and soon-to-be mother of two, just finished delivering a showstopping performance at the Super Bowl. While she didn’t win the Grammy for “Best Original Song”, she still has a chance of winning an award for the record at Sunday’s ceremony.. She will also perform the record, so we know the Anti artist is preparing to deliver an angelic performance. We’ll be watching at home like her firstborn.
Just Let Michael B. Jordan and Jonathan Majors Stand There, We’ll Just Watch, Too
Leon Bennett/Getty Images for BET
These two actors have been the talk of the town, and the world is falling in love with them every time they appear onscreen. Their film, Creed, is now the highest-grossing sports film ever, bringing in over $100 million worldwide. So, of course, we would love to see them do…anything on Sunday as long as they are onscreen. Give us a boxing bit, present an award or anything that has them on our screens for more than five minutes. Guaranteed ratings boost!
What are some Black moments you hope to see? Grab your popcorn and your squad, and make sure you’re watching the Oscars, this Sunday at 8 p.m. ET / 5 p.m. PT on ABC.
Ty Cole is a New York-based entertainment reporter and writer for BET.com who covers pop culture, music, and lifestyle. Follow his latest musings on Twitter @IamTyCole.
- 2024 NAACP Image Awards: 7 Key Roles that Define Michael B. Jordan's CareerDive into all of the career-defining TV and movie roles that skyrocketed Jordan to superstardom, from HBO’s “The Wire” to the blockbuster “Creed” franchise.02/23/2024
- 2024 NAACP Image Awards: Queen of Documentaries: 5 Powerful Non-Fiction Films Directed by Ava DuVernayThe award-winning director has a knack for using her powerful lens to depict groundbreaking stories that tackle music, race, culture, and corrupt systems.02/23/2024
- Demi Singleton Says Her 'Bass Reeves' Character Changed How She Saw Her LifeSingleton shares her journey, challenges, and the empowering impact of bringing to light the untold stories of Black heroes in American history.02/23/2024
- 'Tyler Perry’s Sistas': Five Plot Twists That Could Happen With Karen’s BabySistas has so many twists and turns that it’s hard not to imagine the other crazy things that could pop up about Karen’s baby.02/22/2024
- DC Young Fly Pleads For The Return Of His Bag That Contained Jack Oh's Death CertificateThe comedian’s bag was allegedly stolen in Los Angeles at the Hollywood Improv Comedy Club.02/22/2024
- Wendy Williams Diagnosed With Frontotemporal Dementia And AphasiaHer medical team says both conditions have “presented significant hurdles” in her life.02/22/2024