(Photo: Martina Big via Instagram)
The summer of 2015 saw Rachel Dolezal's rise to media infamy. It all started when her parents snitched on her (rightfully so, though) for falsely portraying herself as a Black person while simultaneously holding office at Spokane, Washington's NAACP branch as its president. The news was a lot to deal with, and to this day continues to cause media frenzy. Enter Martina Adam. This woman will have you longing for the simplistic days in which we thought Dolezal was as bad as things could get. Adam is a German white woman who is dead set on "transitioning" into becoming a Black person.
Her efforts to "transtition" are objectively concerning for a bevy of reasons. First off, you cannot transition into being a Black person. The mere idea of this impossibility suggests a severe lack of knowledge and sensitivities into the lived experiences of Black people. The oft-stated "everyone wants to be Black until the cops show up" fits in here. Adam's particular "transition" includes lip fillers and an extremely dramatic breast augmentation that suggests all Black people look one certain way, which in reality, of course, is not true. The result of her surgeries turns her into a caricature of what she thinks Black people look like. Ultimately, this gross fetishization of Blackness is harmful and disrespectful on so many levels. The fact that she thinks transitioning to a different race is feasible is also a trivialization of transgender people, who are still struggling to gain validation and exist in a world in which they have a 1-in-12 chance of being murdered as opposed to the average person's 1-in-18,000 chance. All of these reasons together suggest Adam does not understand the weight of her actions.
Her peculiar obsession with how she perceives Blackness could honestly make you long for Rachel Dolezal, something we never thought we'd type. Dolezal, at least, was familiar with the history and was actively working toward bettering the lives of Black people through her work at the NAACP. When push comes to shove, though, both of these women are in the wrong. Aggressively going out of your way to conceal your real identity and trying to be something you're not is just something we could never get behind.
- Dylan Dilinjah Says Dave Chappelle’s Classic ‘Making the Band’ Sketch Ruined His CareerThe Brooklyn rapper said that the skit made it hard to get his career off the ground.03/04/2024
- Beyoncé Shares How She Shops Incognito At TargetIn a recent interview, the 32-time Grammy winner shared how she goes undetected at her favorite retail store.03/04/2024
- Scottie Pippen And Larsa Pippen Sued For $250 Million By His Alleged Ex-Girlfriend For Stalking And HarassmentChyvette Valentine claims she dated the former Chicago Bulls player between 1987 and 1993.03/04/2024
- Twin! Where Have You Been?! Muni Long Surprises And Inspires Screaming Brooklyn StudentsThe viral “Made For Me” singer stuns unsuspecting Brooklyn students.03/04/2024
- Rihanna Performs At Wedding In India For Multi-Billionaire HeirRiRi rocked the house while looking stunning per usual.03/04/2024
- Terry Crews Opens Up About Beating His Abusive Father On 'Club Shay Shay'The actor shared a big lesson on forgiveness and healing.03/04/2024