(Photo: Will Sterling)
Award-winning R&B artist Mary J. Blige is set to receive the distinguished Billboard Icon Award at the 2022 Billboard Music Awards next month.
Blige, who is a ten-time Billboard Music Award winner, will also take the stage for an epic performance at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas. From winning the R&B Album of the Year award back in 1995, to taking home nine awards at the 2006 show including Female R&B/Hip-Hop Artist of the Year; Hot 100 Airplay Song of the Year; R&B Albums Artist of the Year; R&B/Hip-Hop Album of the Year; R&B/Hip-Hop Artist of the Year and more, Blige has earned her icon status.
“My career has been such an incredible and unexpected journey that has included many turns into avenues I never could have imagined like acting, producing, launching businesses and now even my own music festival,” said Blige in an official press release.
Adding: “Through it all, I [have] always, one way or another, gravitated back to my first love, music. To be recognized in this way at this moment, with the Icon Award at the Billboard Music Awards, is an incredible honor and one that I am truly humbled by.”
The superstar entertainer joins ten other artists who have been crowned an icon at the BBMAs including Stevie Wonder, Prince, Janet Jackson, Mariah Carey, Jennifer Lopez and more.
For this year’s show The Weeknd, Doja Cat and Ye (formerly known as Kanye West) come in as front runners with the most nods in top music categories. Doja comes in with 14 nominations, Ye with 13 and The Weeknd sweeps this year's categories with a total of 17 nods.
On Sunday (May 15), the 2022 Billboard Music Awards will broadcast at 8 p.m. ET on NBC and stream live on Peacock.
FROM OUR PARTNERS
- Ayesha Curry And Steph Curry Are Pregnant With Baby No. 4Ayesha shared the news while posing on the cover of her online magazine, Sweet July.03/01/2024
- Terrence Howard Faces $903,115 Tax Bill Amidst Claims of Injustice and Slavery LegacyThe actor cited “Four hundred years of forced labor and never receiving any compensation for it,” as part of his decision to avoid paying his taxes.03/01/2024
- Nas Joins Resort World's $5 Billion Casino Expansion In QueensThe vision of Aqueduct Park is to transform the casino, in the legendary rapper's hometown, into a full-fledged establishment that mirrors the company's properties in Las Vegas.03/01/2024
- ‘A Different World’ Cast Reunites For Epic 10-City HBCU TourThe crew from the beloved sitcom is back to promote enrollment at HBCUs and raise money for scholarships.03/01/2024
- Idris Elba Reveals How He Discovered His Role On ‘The Wire’ Was EndingStringer Bell, played by the British actor, is one of the most memorable characters from the iconic show.03/01/2024
- Kanye West Calls Out Ex-Wife Kim Kardashian, Demands She Removes Their Kids From LA-Based School“It’s a fake school for celebrities that are used by ‘the system,’” said Yeezy.03/01/2024