The Illinois mansion that R. Kelly spent $3.5 million to construct was reportedly auctioned for $950,000, well below its $5 million value. According to reports, the "Trapped in the Closet" star hadn’t made payments for the property in over a year and tried to sell it in order to prevent foreclosure. The home the singer mortgaged in 1997 was seized by Chase Bank and auctioned off on Monday after Kelly failed to sell it for his $1.6 million asking price.
Kelly’s mansion stretches 11,140–square-feet and was built from the ground up. Six bedrooms, eight baths, a theater room, an indoor pool and a private lake occupy the estate.
Kelly has yet to publicly address the sale of the home, but his former spokesman Allen Mayer assures that he is not low on funds despite the $5 million he owes the government in taxes.
BET.com is your #1 source for Black celebrity news, photos, exclusive videos and all the latest in the world of hip hop and R&B music.
Click here to subscribe to our newsletter.
(Photo: Ben Gabbe/Getty Images)
- Fireboy DML Is Ready To Drop Gems From His Year of GrowthThe Nigerian pop superstar retraces his musical journey with BET as he discusses his next studio album and his hopes for the future of African music.02/26/2024
- 2024 NAACP Image Awards: 7 Duet Partners and Featured Artists that Elevated H.E.R.'s TracksHer epic collaborations are among the best parts of the R&B singer’s award-winning catalog.02/26/2024
- Judge Rules That Texas School District's Suspension of Darryl George Over Length of His Locs Did Not Violate CROWN ACTDarryl George, an 18-year-old student at Barbers Hill High School was first suspended from regular classes on Aug. 31, because he did not comply with the dress code.02/23/2024
- DDG Gets Candid On How He And Halle Bailey Got Pregnant After Nearly Two Years Of Dating“We weren’t aiming for a baby, but it just kinda happened,” said the rapper.02/23/2024
- Howard University To Debut First HBCU Ice Skating TeamThe intercollegiate skating team will face the University of Delaware in its first competition.02/23/2024
- Porsha Williams Files For Divorce From Simon Guobadia After 15 Months Of MarriageAccording to a source, their split is "unrelated to recent allegations involving Simon's past," but rather, an "ongoing matter."02/23/2024