Kevin Winter/Getty Images
This summer’s box office hit Straight Outta Compton is on track to gross more than $200 million worldwide, making the F. Gary Gray-directed biopic the top-grossing film ever by a Black director. Gray beat out Tim Story’s Fantastic Four back in 2005 with $154.6 million, and Keenen Ivory Wayan’s Scary Movie, which brought $157 million in 2000.
The N.W.A. biopic was co-signed by legends such as Dr. Dre and Ice Cube, and earned both critical acclaim and major box office dollars. Dr. Dre even released an accompanying soundtrack album — his first LP in 16 years — inspired by the film just before it's release in August.
But success attracts lawsuits, and Straight Outta Compton is no exception: former N.W.A. manager Jerry Heller, played by Paul Giamatti in the film, hit Cube, Dr. Dre, and the estate of Eazy-E with a $110 million lawsuit claiming his portrayal in the movie was defamatory, and he had not granted permission to use his likeness in the film.
Still, Gray and the other filmmakers behind Straight Outta Compton are basking in its success, and focusing on potential Oscar nominations (the studio behind the biopic recently launched an awards campaign for the film). Check out our interview with the A-list director, below:
(Photo: Kevin Winter/Getty Images)
BET.com is your No. 1 source for Black celebrity news, photos, exclusive videos and all the latest in the world of hip hop and R&B music.
- Fireboy DML Is Ready To Drop Gems From His Year of GrowthThe Nigerian pop superstar retraces his musical journey with BET as he discusses his next studio album and his hopes for the future of African music.02/26/2024
- 2024 NAACP Image Awards: 7 Duet Partners and Featured Artists that Elevated H.E.R.'s TracksHer epic collaborations are among the best parts of the R&B singer’s award-winning catalog.02/26/2024
- Judge Rules That Texas School District's Suspension of Darryl George Over Length of His Locs Did Not Violate CROWN ACTDarryl George, an 18-year-old student at Barbers Hill High School was first suspended from regular classes on Aug. 31, because he did not comply with the dress code.02/23/2024
- DDG Gets Candid On How He And Halle Bailey Got Pregnant After Nearly Two Years Of Dating“We weren’t aiming for a baby, but it just kinda happened,” said the rapper.02/23/2024
- Howard University To Debut First HBCU Ice Skating TeamThe intercollegiate skating team will face the University of Delaware in its first competition.02/23/2024
- Porsha Williams Files For Divorce From Simon Guobadia After 15 Months Of MarriageAccording to a source, their split is "unrelated to recent allegations involving Simon's past," but rather, an "ongoing matter."02/23/2024