(Photo by Johnny Nunez/VMN18/Getty Images for BET)
For the first time since the show was launched in 2001, the BET Awards will not have an in-person event. The COVID-19 pandemic has made live music performances with in-studio audiences almost impossible because of social distancing requirements. That’s the bad news, but the good news is that the show must go on!
The ‘Rona has nothing on Black ingenuity!
On June 28th, turn to BET at 8 PM EST for the virtual BET Awards 2020!
Here’s five reasons why you MUST tune into this joyful Black experience!
It’s The Ultimate Virtual Black Entertainment Experience
You’re a regular at Club Quarantine (Shout out to D-Nice!) where you’ve “rubbed shoulders” with Michelle Obama, Rihanna, Tiffany Haddish, Diddy, and other Black celebs as you sweat it out on the dance/livingroom floor. You’ve also attended some Verzuz events. Jill Scott and Erykah Badu made you want to burn some incense and that was so kind of you to try to help out Teddy Riley when he had some technical difficulties as Babyface patiently waited. You’re an old hand at virtual concerts and clubs, so it only makes sense to top it all off with a virtual awards ceremony. You already know the virtual after parties are going to be lit and you’re invited!
Everyone Has VIP Access
Premiering the 2020 BET Awards virtually means that you will have the best seat in the house for all of the performances and events. That one college friend of yours who seems to have VIP access to everything cool will now have the exact same view as you… from the couch. Who needs bottle service when you can sip on your beverage of choice from your favorite mug? No need for a velvet rope or surly bouncers. Shoes are optional and there’s no cover charge.
You Don’t Want to Miss The Epic Surprise Performances
The BET Awards have had a few truly surprising moments over the years. Remember when Beyoncé and Kendrick Lamar had that insane performance of “Freedom” to kick off the 2016 Awards? How about when the Fugees had a surprise reunion in 2005? Surely, you recall when Michael Jackson paid tribute to his idol James Brown and they briefly shared the stage together. Anything can happen at the BET Awards and you’ll want to watch it all unfold in real time.
You Can Join The Trending Conversation
Make sure you’re locked in on June 28th so you can chime in on social media right along with your favorite celebs and “friends in your head.” Normally your favs would be suited and booted at the ceremony, schmoozing and checking their makeup, but now they’ll have time to give more commentary just like you! Don’t wake up to trending topics you don’t understand the next day. Get on the cultural wave and join in the moment.
Catch Our Joyful Vibe
Beyond just staying abreast of pop culture and entertainment in general, it’s especially important now to feel a sense of community and connection. As we are all quarantined in our homes and missing the hugs and other intimate encounters with loved ones, we should catch joy where we find it, even if it’s in a different form. This year’s BET Awards will look a little different, but they will still put a smile on your face.
Tune into the 2020 BET Awards on June 28 at 8 PM EST!
- Ayesha Curry And Steph Curry Are Pregnant With Baby No. 4Ayesha shared the news while posing on the cover of her online magazine, Sweet July.03/01/2024
- Terrence Howard Faces $903,115 Tax Bill Amidst Claims of Injustice and Slavery LegacyThe actor cited “Four hundred years of forced labor and never receiving any compensation for it,” as part of his decision to avoid paying his taxes.03/01/2024
- Nas Joins Resort World's $5 Billion Casino Expansion In QueensThe vision of Aqueduct Park is to transform the casino, in the legendary rapper's hometown, into a full-fledged establishment that mirrors the company's properties in Las Vegas.03/01/2024
- ‘A Different World’ Cast Reunites For Epic 10-City HBCU TourThe crew from the beloved sitcom is back to promote enrollment at HBCUs and raise money for scholarships.03/01/2024
- Idris Elba Reveals How He Discovered His Role On ‘The Wire’ Was EndingStringer Bell, played by the British actor, is one of the most memorable characters from the iconic show.03/01/2024
- Kanye West Calls Out Ex-Wife Kim Kardashian, Demands She Removes Their Kids From LA-Based School“It’s a fake school for celebrities that are used by ‘the system,’” said Yeezy.03/01/2024