Jesse Williams is remembering Norman Lear’s impact both on and off the screen.
The former "Grey’s Anatomy" star honored the creative force behind groundbreaking shows like “The Jeffersons” and “Good Times” this week through a touching tribute on Instagram, showcasing a collection of photos and significant news headlines.
Williams hailed Lear as a compassionate and influential figure: “Norman Lear, a gentle man of action who carved trails in culture and consciousness early and often. A soul i came to know, debate, and learn from at a turning point in both our lives,” Williams wrote.
Among the images shared was a screenshot of an IndieWire article documenting Lear’s support when "Grey’s Anatomy" fans demanded Williams' removal from the series following his remarks on racial injustice during his 2016 "BET Awards" acceptance speech. A Change.org petition accused Williams of delivering a “racist hate speech against law enforcement and white people.”
Williams concluded his post by expressing gratitude for Lear’s “personal and professional generosity uphill; his use of privilege; his observant leadership in a society molded by the arts. Thank you for the leaps forward.”
Lear, who collaborated with the actor on “American Divided,” told at the time, “I’ve seen and attended a ton of awards shows in my time, and no one has ever put his soul and his ass on the line so fully and so truthfully as Jesse Williams did at the BET Awards last week.”
Lear passed away on Tuesday, Dec. 5, of natural causes in his home in Los Angeles, CA. He was 101.
- Judge Rules That Texas School District's Suspension of Darryl George Over Length of His Locs Did Not Violate CROWN ACTDarryl George, an 18-year-old student at Barbers Hill High School was first suspended from regular classes on Aug. 31, because he did not comply with the dress code.02/23/2024
- DDG Gets Candid On How He And Halle Bailey Got Pregnant After Nearly Two Years Of Dating“We weren’t aiming for a baby, but it just kinda happened,” said the rapper.02/23/2024
- Howard University To Debut First HBCU Ice Skating TeamThe intercollegiate skating team will face the University of Delaware in its first competition.02/23/2024
- Porsha Williams Files For Divorce From Simon Guobadia After 15 Months Of MarriageAccording to a source, their split is "unrelated to recent allegations involving Simon's past," but rather, an "ongoing matter."02/23/2024
- Wendy Williams Finds Support in Blac Chyna Amidst Health Struggles: A Revealing Look in New Lifetime Documentary"Where Is Wendy Williams?" premieres on Saturday, February 24 at 8 p.m.02/23/2024
- Jermaine Dupri Confirms That Unreleased Usher Track Is Finally AvailableTaking to social media, the award-winning producer said that “Believe” will drop on February 23.02/23/2024