Tracee Ellis Ross is using her voice to celebrate the beautiful connection we all share through our natural curls, coils, and textured tresses. This Friday (Feb. 18) marks the much-anticipated release of the multi-talented star’s debut song, “Legacy.”
To showcase the vision behind her signature hair brand PATTERN Beauty, the “Legacy” music video—which premieres today on BET Soul & BET HER—is described as the brand’s celebration of Black heritage, values, and time-honored traditions.
What's particularly special about the poetic lyrics is the realization that honoring your roots and honoring your legacy comes with embracing your personal hair story.
As the daughter of music legend Diana Ross, Tracee has often spoken about the unbreakable bond she shares with her mother, along with why she loves celebrating her flourishing tresses with pride and curly-girl confidence.
“When I started the journey of understanding and loving my hair and my curls, it was a process,” Tracee shared with Byrdie about her hair journey in February 2021. She went on to explain that in the 10th grade, she stopped relaxing her hair. “From that point on until I was like 27, I went on this journey of trying to understand, get to know, and make sense of my hair. I tried every product in the world.”
She continued, “Wearing my hair naturally, I have complete freedom. I work out, I can swim…I have freedom to wear it. I’m not locked down to the blow out.”
PATTERN Beauty made its debut in September 2019 and has since expanded into products that include shampoo and conditioner for curly hair, scalp treatments, argan oil, jojoba oil, different cleansing treatments, and styling cream.
No question, the brand is changing the narrative about haircare one product at a time. Proud mom Diana Ross (also known as “The Boss”) is said to be pleased with the Black-owned, woman-owned hair company her daughter has created. Tracee described her mom as “supportive”.
During her conversation with Byrdie, she shared, “I keep reading everybody all of my mom’s texts, because they’ve been so sweet. [...] I think she’s in love with the packaging. I think her favorite thing so far, number one, is that a dream she knows I’ve had for so long has come to fruition. She loves the smell.”
The new song is definitely a reminder that we transfer our rich culture through hair. Watch the “Legacy” music video on BET Soul & BET HER.
- Tupac Shakur Murder Trial Delayed Until NovemberEx-gang leader Duane "Keefe D" Davis was charged with the murder of the slain rapper in September.02/22/2024
- Jaz Karis Is a Force To Be Reckoned With In Soul MusicFrom her early days in the choir to collaborating with Tone Stith on the sultry new track "MET YOU AT A BAR," South London’s Jaz Karis shares her musical journey, creative process, and the inspiration behind her upcoming album set to drop in 2024.02/22/2024
- 'All The Queen’s Men': Tied UpTrouble and Champ are a little too cocky about their crimes and get caught up.02/22/2024
- Tyler Perry Issues Warning For His Steamy Kelly Rowland and Trevante Rhodes-Led Thriller ‘Mea Culpa’: “This Is For Grown Folks”Tyler Perry, Kelly Rowland, Trevante Rhodes, and RonReaco Lee talked to BET about coming together to make their “grown and sexy” Netflix thriller.02/22/2024
- 2024 NAACP Image Awards: The Characters & Animated Roles That Shaped Cree Summer's LegacyThe queen of voice acting is behind some of this generation’s most iconic animated characters across TV and film.02/22/2024
- 2024 NAACP Image Awards: 6 Things You Didn’t Know About Victoria MonétThe songwriter turned R&B performer took home three Grammys for her latest album, “Jaguar II.”02/22/2024