Wayans was asked about Chappelle’s comments, where the award-winning comedian challenged his contemporaries to come up with anything close to his 2021 special, The Closer.
During the 40-minute special released on Netflix (What’s in a Name), the 48-year-old said it’ll be decades before any other comedian manages to produce a comedy show that can contend with the ones he’s performed.
Wayans, 61, began his statement by saying he loves Chappelle and won’t speak too much about it.
“They’re filming everything he do right now and putting it out as specials,” he said. “The thing is, you gotta ask yourself as an artist: is it special – or are they taking advantage of me because I’m special?”
The release is categorized as “comedies,” but the description reads, “Dave Chappelle delivers a speech at his prestigious alma mater that reflects on his comedy roots, his rise to fame and why artists "should never behave."
Wayans points out that he hasn’t actually watched Chappelle’s latest Netflix special, but he sees fit to determine that Chappelle’s work should be categorized as a speech. “Don’t blur the lines. Is this a special or is this is a speech,” he said.
“There is no doubt that Dave Chappelle is the comedian of our generation. He’s braver than I am, right now. I wouldn’t say he’s braver than I’ve ever been, because, you know In Living Color kind of speaks to my fearlessness.”
Chappelle’s The Closer special earned Emmy nominations, despite the continuous backlash he has received.
“I totally respect him. He weathered a very difficult storm and came out on the otherside smiling and I’m happy for him,” Waynes said.
In 2021, Wayans challenged Chappelle to a comedic Verzuz. “I’m calling him out!” Wayans said he was joking about the challenge.
- Fireboy DML Is Ready To Drop Gems From His Year of GrowthThe Nigerian pop superstar retraces his musical journey with BET as he discusses his next studio album and his hopes for the future of African music.02/26/2024
- 2024 NAACP Image Awards: 7 Duet Partners and Featured Artists that Elevated H.E.R.'s TracksHer epic collaborations are among the best parts of the R&B singer’s award-winning catalog.02/26/2024
- Judge Rules That Texas School District's Suspension of Darryl George Over Length of His Locs Did Not Violate CROWN ACTDarryl George, an 18-year-old student at Barbers Hill High School was first suspended from regular classes on Aug. 31, because he did not comply with the dress code.02/23/2024
- DDG Gets Candid On How He And Halle Bailey Got Pregnant After Nearly Two Years Of Dating“We weren’t aiming for a baby, but it just kinda happened,” said the rapper.02/23/2024
- Howard University To Debut First HBCU Ice Skating TeamThe intercollegiate skating team will face the University of Delaware in its first competition.02/23/2024
- Porsha Williams Files For Divorce From Simon Guobadia After 15 Months Of MarriageAccording to a source, their split is "unrelated to recent allegations involving Simon's past," but rather, an "ongoing matter."02/23/2024