Photo: Getty Images
A North Carolina mother has demanded a formal apology from officials who banned her 6-year-old daughter on Monday (Sept. 20) from playing in a soccer match because of the clips in her hair.
"She went off the field, crying, confused, six years old: 'I don't understand what's wrong with my hair! I've been wearing my hair this way forever,” Darialle Marshmon told WTVD. “Other children, boys and girls had -- they had beads on and they were playing in their game."
Marshmon said the situation wasn’t handled properly. None of the officials at the Hope Hills recreation center tried to work with her husband, who was at the game, to find a simple solution to allow their daughter to play.
He asked them to show him the rules that apply to hairstyles. One of the volunteers showed him a piece of paper that said “no jewelry, watches, rings, necklace, hair beads, hair wear of any type, can be worn during the game.”
Her husband pointed out that his daughter didn’t have beads but ponytail holders and clips to keep her hair in place.
A spokesperson for the recreation center defended the rules to WTVD, saying that hair decorations must be made of “soft material” but will apologize to the family for mishandling the situation.
- Keyshia Cole Surprises Middle Schoolers With “Love” Performance During RecitalThe Grammy-nominated singer performed with students at the Ron Clark Academy in Atlanta.02/27/2024
- ‘Where Is Wendy Williams?’ Producers Claim They Didn’t Know The Famed Host Was Diagnosed With Dementia"If we had known that Wendy had dementia going into it, no one would’ve rolled a camera,” said producer Mark Ford.02/27/2024
- Diddy Accused of Sexual Assault By Former Male EmployeeThe allegations against the entertainment mogul come from a former producer and videographer who most recently worked on the "Love" album.02/27/2024
- Halle Berry And Halle Bailey Link Up At Soccer Game In Los Angeles"I was living for this moment!!" said "The Little Mermaid" star.02/27/2024
- Beyoncé’s ‘Texas Hold ‘Em’ Takes the Number One Spot On Billboard Hot 100The song is her ninth number-one hit on the chart and her first since “Break My Soul” in 2022.02/27/2024
- Rhymefest Reimagines The Beauty of the Black Diaspora On His New Album ‘James & Nikki: A Conversation’The acclaimed multi-hyphenate pays tribute to the legendary writers on his latest project and he spoke about the impact he hopes to have with his art.02/27/2024