SANFORD, Fla. (AP) — The father of a central Florida neighborhood watch leader who fatally shot an unarmed black teen says his son didn't instigate the encounter and is not racist.
Robert Zimmerman delivered a letter to the Orlando Sentinel (http://thesent.nl/yhLvfw) on Thursday saying the way his son is being depicted in the media is cruel and misleading. He also says his son has received death threats and moved out of his home.
Sanford police investigated, but haven't arrested 28-year-old George Zimmerman, who says he acted in self-defense last month when he shot 17-year-old Trayvon Martin. Police have said there's no evidence to dispute the claim.
The letter says George Zimmerman is Hispanic and grew up in a multiracial family, so "he would be the last to discriminate."
Martin's family will speak at a news conference Friday.
BET National News - Keep up to date with breaking news stories from around the nation, including headlines from the hip hop and entertainment world.
TRENDING IN NEWS