Update: New Evidence Revealed in Vonderrit Myers Shooting

Update: New Evidence Revealed in Vonderrit Myers Shooting

A white off-duty police officer shot and killed a Black teenager Wednesday night in the Shaw neighborhood of St. Louis, Missouri, leading to more protests in the city.

Published October 15, 2014

Update, Oct. 15, 2014, 1:50 p.m.

New details have surfaced in the killing of Vonderrit Myers Jr. The Missouri State Highway Patrol says that lab test results prove there was gunshot residue on the teen's hands, waistband and shirt, the Associated Press reports. Jeff Roorda, the St. Louis Police Officers' Association business manager added that this evidence disproves conflicting reports that he did not fire his weapon at a police officer.

Officials have also dug up social media posts of Myers that show him holding three weapons, but copies of the photos were not shown. The family attorney says more details need to be uncovered before drawing conclusions about what happened. 

"When somebody's son is dead, don't they deserve a full and thorough investigation?" Attorney Gerryl Christmas said.


A white off-duty police officer shot and killed a Black teenager Wednesday night in the Shaw neighborhood of St. Louis. The incident sparked protests in the area, around 12 miles from Ferguson, where Michael Brown was shot and killed two months ago. 

Vonderrit Myers Jr., 18, shot at the officer three times, who then shot back at the teen 17 times, the police said according to the St. Louis Dispatch. The off-duty officer was working another job as a security guard when the officer chased down Myers and two other men. The cop was not hurt. 

The family of Myers say that the teen was unarmed, a claim that conflicts with the police report. His cousin, Verona Myers, 23, told the Dispatch that, "He had a sandwich in his hand, and they thought it was a gun. It's like Michael Brown all over again."

St. Louis Police Chief Sam Dotson said the officer was in a car when he saw three men walking, one of them Myers. The group began running and the officer proceeded to follow them in his vehicle and then got out the car and chased them in the streets.

The officer told them to stop and surrender. Myers approached the officer and got into a
physical altercation. The teen started to run away again and pointed his gun at the officer, who returned bullets.

Protests erupted after news of the shooting spread over social media. A group formed and reportedly damaged several police vehicles. The demonstrators blocked streets, some saying, "Hands up, don't shoot!" a chant from the Michael Brown protests.  

Follow Natelege Whaley on Twitter: @Natelege_

BET National News - Keep up to date with breaking news stories from around the nation, including headlines from the hip hop and entertainment world. Click here to subscribe to our newsletter. 

(Photo: David Carson,St. Louis Post-Dispatch/AP Photo)

Written by Natelege Whaley


Latest in news