Steve Stephens Told McDonald's Employees, 'I Can't Wait, I Need My McNuggets,' as They Tried to Stall Him While Calling Police

Steve Stephens Told McDonald's Employees, 'I Can't Wait, I Need My McNuggets,' as They Tried to Stall Him While Calling Police

Here's how the staff helped authorities finally locate the Facebook killer.

Published April 18, 2017


Before taking his own life during a pursuit with Pennsylvania State Police, Facebook killer Steve Stephens stopped at a McDonald’s in Erie County to refuel. Stephens pulled into the drive-thru to order 20 McNuggets and large fries.

Immediately, McDonald’s employee Henry Sayers recognized Stephens and his white Ford Fusion, reported.

According to Sayers, Stephens “acted normal” while waiting for his food. As he pulled up to the window, employees frantically phoned the state police. With police on the way, employees stalled and told Stephens his entire order wasn’t ready.

“It will be a minute for the fries,” the owner, Tom, told The New York Post.

This upset Stephens who impatiently yelled back at employees.

“No, I can’t wait!” Tom said Stephens snapped. “I need my nuggets now!”

Stephens paid for the food and quickly sped away with just his McNuggets. He was met down the road two miles later by police


The man accused of shooting and killing 74-year-old Robert Godwin and posting the video to Facebook has been reported dead. 

37-year-old Steve Stephens was found on Tuesday by Pennsylvania State Police in Erie, Pennsylvania. Police then engaged the suspect in a pursuit. During the chase, Stephens shot and killed himself, said police officials.

  1. #PressPlay The scene where #SteveStephens run with police came to end. View previous post!

    A post shared by The Shade Room (@theshaderoom) on

    Stephens had been on the run from police and the FBI for killing Godwin on Sunday. There was a $50,000 reward for information leading to his arrest. 

  2. Police Chief Calvin Williams said Stephens shot himself as officers approached his vehicle

    After the shooting, Cleveland Police Chief Calvin Williams addressed reporters at a press conference. According to Williams, Pennsylvania State Police responded to a report that Stephens's white Ford Fusion was spotted in a McDonald's parking lot. 

    Upon seeing police arrive, Stephens fled, leading police on a two-mile car chase. Pennsylvania State Police said in a statement that officers used a PIT maneuver to disable Stephens's vehicle, which prompted Stephens to take his own life. 

    "As the vehicle was spinning out of control from the PIT maneuver, Stephens pulled a pistol and shot himself in the head," police said.

    Williams said police had a goal of bringing Stephens in alive.

    “We would have preferred that it didn’t end this way,” Williams said.

    This is a developing story. Please check back with for details. 

Written by Rachel Herron

(Photo: Steven Stephens via Facebook)


Latest in news