(Photo: ROBYN BECK/AFP via Getty Images)
On Sunday (Jan. 5), the 77th annual Golden Globes ceremony aired for fans and viewers alike to witness who would take home the night’s most prestigious awards. But there was one category in particular — Best Original Song in the motion picture category — that kept Twitter on its toes all night.
Beyoncé graced this year’s awards show with a rare appearance as one of the most-anticipated contenders of the accolade for her single “Spirit,” from The Lion King: The Gift. The competition for the category was stiff, with British rock and pop icon Elton John and American sweetheart pop star Taylor Swift also competing for the accolade (Elton’s “(I’m Gonna) Love Me Again” of Rocketman and Taylor’s “Beautiful Ghosts” of Cats, respectively).
Ultimately, Elton walked away with the honor last night
While Bey ended up zero for four, she’s previously received nominations for best actress and best original song (“Listen”) for Dreamgirls in 2007. Two years later, she received her second best original song nomination for “Once in a Lifetime” from Cadillac Records.
The Beyhive sounded off on social media with disappointment at yet another snub from the Golden Globes. They were particularly upset considering that the snub comes after she left the 2019 Emmys ceremony empty-handed, despite garnering six nominations for Homecoming.
“We all know who is the real winner. Beyoncé don't need a Golden Globe, Golden Globe needs Beyoncé,” one user commented on Twitter.
“I’m sorry I’m so ducking tired of living in a world where Beyoncé gets snubbed,” another aired out. “I’m not watching anymore award shows I’m not participating in any type of culture. They never get it right.”
Nonetheless, it’s no sweat off the Queen’s back
During her most recent feature cover story with ELLE where she answered questions from fans AMA-style, Bey gave her thoughts on Lemonade and Homecoming being snubbed.
“Being ‘number one’ was no longer my priority. My true win is creating art and a legacy that will live far beyond me. That’s fulfilling,” she said at the time.
And that’s that on that.
- Drink Recipes Inspired by 'All the Queen's Men' CharactersTake a sip of these delicious concoctions inspired by the series!03/04/2024
- Celebrating Timeless Love: Five Unforgettable Black TV Couples Who Defined Relationship GoalsFrom the comedic highs of Martin and Gina to the journey of Rainbow and Dre, these iconic Black TV couples continue to inspire and reflect the complexities of love.03/04/2024
- 2024 NAACP Image Awards: Kyla Pratt's Enduring Charm: 7 Memorable Roles from Child Star to Adult ActressThe NAACP Image Award nominee has been active in the entertainment biz since the ‘90s.03/04/2024
- Ayesha Curry And Steph Curry Are Pregnant With Baby No. 4Ayesha shared the news while posing on the cover of her online magazine, Sweet July.03/01/2024
- Terrence Howard Faces $903,115 Tax Bill Amidst Claims of Injustice and Slavery LegacyThe actor cited “Four hundred years of forced labor and never receiving any compensation for it,” as part of his decision to avoid paying his taxes.03/01/2024
- Nas Joins Resort World's $5 Billion Casino Expansion In QueensThe vision of Aqueduct Park is to transform the casino, in the legendary rapper's hometown, into a full-fledged establishment that mirrors the company's properties in Las Vegas.03/01/2024