Grammy Award-winning rapper, singer, and songwriter Missy Elliott has been creating iconic hits and changing the way viewers experience music videos since the late 90s following her debut album Supa Dupa Fly. It wouldn’t be long before the artist stepped from in front of the camera and entered the world of directing.
Missy has not only created spellbinding visuals for herself, as seen with videos for songs such as “Work It” and “Lost Control,” but for other artists as well, including BET Awards 2022 nominees City Girls, who tapped the music pioneer to direct the video for their 2021 hit “Twerkulator.” Missy’s contribution earned her a well-deserved nomination for “Director of the Year” at this month’s ceremony hosted by actress Taraji P. Henson. So join us as we look back at some of Missy’s dopest self-directed videos.
The Virginia-born emcee takes complete control in this Dave Meyer-directed music video “Work It,” which, like many of her visuals, received critical acclaim. The video won the Video of the Year award at the 2003 MTV Video Music Awards.
“Why I Still Love You”
"Why I Still Love You" was released as the third single off Missy’s first EP since releasing The Cookbook in 2005. The video finds Missy leading her own girl group—the Demeanors, in this sixties-inspired visual from the rapper and longtime creative partner Derek Blanks.
“WTF (Where They From)” feat. Pharrell Williams
Missy teams up with frequent collaborator Dave Meyer for this futuristic visual for her first release in seven years. The video finds the Grammy Award-winning rapper dancing along an abandoned alleyway and other locations with her trusted background dancers. The project garnered 3 million views just hours after its release.
“DripDemeanor” feat. Sum1
Derek Blanks and Missy Elliott return for this sultry hip hop jam “DripDemeanor,” which features the rapper’s signature mind-bending visuals and infectious choreography with dancers in futuristic goth punk outfits and glow-in-the-dark bodysuits.
Lose Control feat. Ciara and Fat Man Scoop
Missy makes viewers lose control with this uptempo single and an even crazier music video featuring Ciara and Fat Man Scoop. There are too many moments to remember, but Missy magically rising out of the sand and straight into the fast-paced choreography definitely tops our list.
Tune in to the BET Awards 2022 Sunday, June 26 at 8 p.m. ET/PT on BET.
- BET Awards 2022: The Celebs Sparkled And Shined on the Red CarpetIn the words of Rihanna, they shined (and sparkled) bright like diamonds.07/07/2022
- BET Awards 2022: Host Taraji P. Henson Came to Slay and EntertainLet's take a walk down memory lane to highlight the fashions worn by our amazing host!07/07/2022
- BET Awards 2022: Fashion Forward Prints Were a Red Carpet HighlightCelebs proved the prints can be fashion forward07/07/2022
- BET Awards 2022: Kirk Franklin Keeps His Record for Most Wins in the 'Dr. Bobby Jones Best Gospel/Inspirational' Award CategoryThe gospel legend has earned the honor six times.07/06/2022
- BET Awards 2022: Check Out These Essential Tracks from the Queen Bee Lil KimWhat’s your favorite song from the legendary rap star?07/06/2022
- BET Awards 2022: A Look Back at 5 of the Hottest Mariah Carey Collaborations EverDid you catch the Grammy Award-winning singer’s surprise performance with Latto?07/06/2022