If you didn't catch the "Soul Train Awards" 2023, you missed out on a massive celebration of R&B and soul music, featuring a captivating performance by the seasoned singer and songwriter BJ the Chicago Kid.
The seasoned crooner delivered an unforgettable performance of his latest single, “Spend The Night,” alongside singer and actress Coco Jones, from his collaborative album “Gravy” with Yeti Beats.
As we look back at yet another amazing event hosted by Emmy-nominated actress and singer Keke Palmer, get familiar with this year’s performer BJ The Chicago Kid, with these five interesting facts.
He grew up surrounded by music
BJ grew up surrounded by gospel music. His love for singing developed at a young age, and he honed his skills performing in church choirs.
His father was instrumental in crafting his songwriting skills
“My dad helped me understand songwriting because of him playing Babyface a lot,” the singer shared in an “I don’t even know if my dad realized that him just being him, him just living his life, loving what he loved, poured more into me than anybody ever would know.”
He independently released his debut project
In 2012, BJ released his debut studio album, “Pineapple Now-Laters,” as an independent artist. The project was well-received for its blend of R&B, soul, and gospel influences.
He creates socially conscious music
Beyond his melodic tunes, BJ The Chicago Kid uses his music as a platform to address social issues. His lyrics often delve into themes of love, life struggles, societal challenges, and more.
BJ The Chicago Kid's artistry hasn't gone unnoticed. He has received multiple Grammy nominations, including nods for Best R&B Performance and Best Traditional R&B Performance.
- DDG Gets Candid On How He And Halle Bailey Got Pregnant After Nearly Two Years Of Dating“We weren’t aiming for a baby, but it just kinda happened,” said the rapper.02/23/2024
- Howard University To Debut First HBCU Ice Skating TeamThe intercollegiate skating team will face the University of Delaware in its first competition.02/23/2024
- Porsha Williams Files For Divorce From Simon Guobadia After 15 Months Of MarriageAccording to a source, their split is "unrelated to recent allegations involving Simon's past," but rather, an "ongoing matter."02/23/2024
- Wendy Williams Finds Support in Blac Chyna Amidst Health Struggles: A Revealing Look in New Lifetime Documentary"Where Is Wendy Williams?" premieres on Saturday, February 24 at 8 p.m.02/23/2024
- Jermaine Dupri Confirms That Unreleased Usher Track Is Finally AvailableTaking to social media, the award-winning producer said that “Believe” will drop on February 23.02/23/2024
- This Week In Good Black News: Beyoncé Makes Music History, Frankie Beverly Announces Farewell Tour, and Megan Thee Stallion Releases Nike CollectionPlus, Brittney Griner’s number was retired by Baylor University and Scarface is heading out on tour!02/23/2024