SZA is clearing up some misconceptions about her creative process.
As she continues to revel in the success of her sophomore album "SOS," which shattered records and earned her Grammy nominations, the singer-songwriter and Variety’s Hitmaker of the Year recently sat down with the publication to discuss several topics, including giving a look at the journey creating the acclaimed project.
The 34-year-old also addressed suggesting that she and rumored ex-boyfriend Drake exchange hidden messages through their songs.
“We all grew up on Drake in some obvious way. So, somewhere in my subconscious, he just skips around sprinkling breadcrumbs,” the “Snooz” singer shared in a video segment. “I saw something that said we were like secretly singing to each other through song, and I was like, ‘What?’”
SZA also shared her thoughts on the decision to give her song “Consideration" to fellow singer Rihanna. The “Kill Bill” singer revealed that she had already shot the video for the track which appears on Rih Rih’s eighth studio album “Anti.”
“I cared so much, and I was so like... just frustrated," SZA admitted. “I felt like, ‘I’ll never have anything this cool again.’ And that was so crazy and so wrong ‘cause it was like the centerpiece to my album at the time, and for her, it was just like part of her album, and I was like, ‘Please no.’”
Although the choice unsettled her during her early days as an artist, the singer said she was grateful for it upon reflection. SZA was ultimately credited as a featured artist and co-writer on the track.
“I’m so glad that that happened and that it didn't cost me anything. If anything, I just gained a bunch from it. And I thank god that I made cool music outside of that,” the singer added.
- Howard University To Debut First HBCU Ice Skating TeamThe intercollegiate skating team will face the University of Delaware in its first competition.02/23/2024
- Porsha Williams Files For Divorce From Simon Guobadia After 15 Months Of MarriageAccording to a source, their split is "unrelated to recent allegations involving Simon's past," but rather, an "ongoing matter."02/23/2024
- Wendy Williams Finds Support in Blac Chyna Amidst Health Struggles: A Revealing Look in New Lifetime Documentary"Where Is Wendy Williams?" premieres on Saturday, February 24 at 8 p.m.02/23/2024
- Jermaine Dupri Confirms That Unreleased Usher Track Is Finally AvailableTaking to social media, the award-winning producer said that “Believe” will drop on February 23.02/23/2024
- This Week In Good Black News: Beyoncé Makes Music History, Frankie Beverly Announces Farewell Tour, and Megan Thee Stallion Releases Nike CollectionPlus, Brittney Griner’s number was retired by Baylor University and Scarface is heading out on tour!02/23/2024
- New Music Friday: SZA, Steelo Brim & Saweetie Drop New TunesRefresh your playlists with these hot new tracks and check out a special behind-the-scenes video of Vic Mensa’s making of “BLUE EYES”, which was nominated for Outstanding Hip Hop/Rap Song at the 2024 NAACP Image Awards.02/23/2024