WATCH ALL YOUR FAVORITE BET SHOWS

Puerto Rico Will Receive Over $900M In Education Funds

This was previously blocked by the Trump administration.

Puerto Rico will be receiving $912 million in federal funds for education that the Trump administration blocked. 

Secretary of Education Miguel Cardona said in a statement on March 23, “The Department is committed to partnering with and supporting Puerto Rico in the efficient and effective use of department funds to serve Puerto Rico’s students, including to safely reopen schools and maximize in-person instructional time.”

Puerto Rico Gov. Pedro Pierluisi also said in a statement, "Our students have endured a lot, since the hurricanes from 2017 to earthquakes and the Covid-19 pandemic, and they deserve to go back to normal. These resources will provide the necessary funds to satisfy the needs of our students on the island." 

RELATED: Puerto Rico Governor Ricardo Rosselló Resigns Amid Demonstrations Calling For Him To Step Down

Pierluisi continued, "On behalf of our children, teachers, and the parents of Puerto Rico, I thank Secretary Miguel Cardona for his commitment to supporting Puerto Rico and President Biden for quickly granting Puerto Rico access to these federal funds."

Less than two weeks ago, Puerto Rico reopened several public and private schools for the first time since the coronavirus pandemic hit the island. 

NBC News reports, according to a spokeswoman for Republican Del. Jenniffer González, the U.S. Department of Education will work with local officials to decide how the money can best be utilized and distributed.  

Latest News

Subscribe for BET Updates

Provide your email address to receive our newsletter.


By clicking subscribe, I agree to receive newsletters, marketing communications, updates, special offers (including partner offers), and other information from BET and the Paramount family of companies. For more information about our data practices, consult our Privacy Policy.