Will Smith wins the award for Best Actor at the 2022 Oscars for his role as Richard Williams in the 2021 film, King Richard.
Just moments before winning the hardware, Will, 53, walked briskly to the stage and had a physical confrontation with Chris Rock after Rock made a joke about Jada Pinkett Smith and her decision to sport a bald head.
The shocking moment turned full circle during his acceptance speech as Smith found himself relating to the film’s real-life protagonist Richard Williams (father of tennis champions Venus and Serena Williams), who was always deemed as a “crazy man” when it came to his family.
“King Richard was a fierce defender of his family,” Smith began his speech. “In this time of my life — in this moment, I am overwhelmed by what God is calling on me to do and be in this world.”
As his speech continued, Smith’s eyes began to water and tears slowly ran down his face.
“I know what we do,” he said, speaking about his life in the public eye. “You gotta be able to take abuse, you gotta be able to have people talk crazy about you. In this business you have to have people disrespecting you. And you have to smile, you have to pretend like that’s okay.”
During a commercial break, Denzel Washington apparently stepped in to calm Smith down from the incident and even provided some sage advice that was clearly helpful to Smith and to anyone who has an encounter with a challenging situation.
“At your highest moment, be careful. That’s when the devil comes for you,” said Smith of Washington’s advice.
He went on to thank the rest of the supporting cast from the movie, the Williams family (who were present) and the Academy, finishing his speech with, “hoping the Academy invites me back.”
- Ayesha Curry And Steph Curry Are Pregnant With Baby No. 4Ayesha shared the news while posing on the cover of her online magazine, Sweet July.03/01/2024
- Terrence Howard Faces $903,115 Tax Bill Amidst Claims of Injustice and Slavery LegacyThe actor cited “Four hundred years of forced labor and never receiving any compensation for it,” as part of his decision to avoid paying his taxes.03/01/2024
- Nas Joins Resort World's $5 Billion Casino Expansion In QueensThe vision of Aqueduct Park is to transform the casino, in the legendary rapper's hometown, into a full-fledged establishment that mirrors the company's properties in Las Vegas.03/01/2024
- ‘A Different World’ Cast Reunites For Epic 10-City HBCU TourThe crew from the beloved sitcom is back to promote enrollment at HBCUs and raise money for scholarships.03/01/2024
- Idris Elba Reveals How He Discovered His Role On ‘The Wire’ Was EndingStringer Bell, played by the British actor, is one of the most memorable characters from the iconic show.03/01/2024
- Kanye West Calls Out Ex-Wife Kim Kardashian, Demands She Removes Their Kids From LA-Based School“It’s a fake school for celebrities that are used by ‘the system,’” said Yeezy.03/01/2024