(Photos from left: Scott Dudelson/Getty Images for Coachella, Julien Hekimian/Getty Images)
Rita Ora recently premiered her new collaborative single, "Girls," which features the likes of Cardi B, Bebe Rexha and Charli XCX. While the ladies have billed song, which has an "I Kissed A Girl" flare, as the next big hit of 2018, one person isn't here for its message: R&B singer Kehlani.
The "Gangsta" singer claims the song has "harmful" lyrics and voiced that she finds it to be insensitive to the LGBTQ community.
The R&B crooner put her thoughts into words in a Twitter thread on Friday (May 11), saying, "hate to be THAT guy but there were many awkward slurs, quotes, and moments that were like, 'word? word."
While she disapproves of what the song articulates and the approach the writers took, Kehlani stressed that she loves all four of the artists who are featured on "Girls." She added that she just thinks "certain quotes weren't progressive."
When a Twitter user began to slam the "Honey" singer, she added that this is not a personal issue, at all.
"Don't make this personal," she tweeted. "i have an incredible song with one of the artists, and would love to work with the other three as well. & have met them all and respect them. there. were. harmful. lyrics. perod. love y'all."
Read her tweets, in full, below:
- Fireboy DML Is Ready To Drop Gems From His Year of GrowthThe Nigerian pop superstar retraces his musical journey with BET as he discusses his next studio album and his hopes for the future of African music.02/26/2024
- 2024 NAACP Image Awards: 7 Duet Partners and Featured Artists that Elevated H.E.R.'s TracksHer epic collaborations are among the best parts of the R&B singer’s award-winning catalog.02/26/2024
- Judge Rules That Texas School District's Suspension of Darryl George Over Length of His Locs Did Not Violate CROWN ACTDarryl George, an 18-year-old student at Barbers Hill High School was first suspended from regular classes on Aug. 31, because he did not comply with the dress code.02/23/2024
- DDG Gets Candid On How He And Halle Bailey Got Pregnant After Nearly Two Years Of Dating“We weren’t aiming for a baby, but it just kinda happened,” said the rapper.02/23/2024
- Howard University To Debut First HBCU Ice Skating TeamThe intercollegiate skating team will face the University of Delaware in its first competition.02/23/2024
- Porsha Williams Files For Divorce From Simon Guobadia After 15 Months Of MarriageAccording to a source, their split is "unrelated to recent allegations involving Simon's past," but rather, an "ongoing matter."02/23/2024