(Jay L. Clendenin / Los Angeles Times via Getty Images)
Michaela Coel took home an Emmy Award for her work on the British drama, I May Destroy You and she shared words of encouragement to “every single survivor of sexual assault” in an inspiring speech.
Coel, 33, won the Emmy for Outstanding Writing In A Limited Series, TV Movie Or Drama Special. The executive producer of the drama series wore a stunning custom neon yellow Christopher John Rogers two-piece dress as she accepted the honor.
"Thank you so much," Coel said, appearing surprised by the win. "Thank you to the members of the Television Academy.
"I just wrote a little something, for writers, really," she continued. "Write the tale that scares you, that makes you feel uncertain, that is uncomfortable. I dare you. In a world that entices us to browse through the lives of others to help us determine how we feel about ourselves, and to in turn feel the need to be constantly visible, for visibility these days seems to somehow equate to success. Do not be afraid to disappear, from it, from us, for awhile and see what comes to you in the silence."
Coel ended her speech with, “I dedicate this story for every single survivor of sexual assault.”
Coel wrote, directed, and starred in the HBO-BBC, 12-episode series, which fictionized the tormenting story of her sexual assault. The show first aired in the summer of 2020.
- Diddy Accused of Sexual Assault By Former Male EmployeeThe allegations against the entertainment mogul come from a former producer and videographer who most recently worked on the "Love" album.02/27/2024
- Halle Berry And Halle Bailey Link Up At Soccer Game In Los Angeles"I was living for this moment!!" said "The Little Mermaid" star.02/27/2024
- Beyoncé’s ‘Texas Hold ‘Em’ Takes the Number One Spot On Billboard Hot 100The song is her ninth number-one hit on the chart and her first since “Break My Soul” in 2022.02/27/2024
- Rhymefest Reimagines The Beauty of the Black Diaspora On His New Album ‘James & Nikki: A Conversation’The acclaimed multi-hyphenate pays tribute to the legendary writers on his latest project and he spoke about the impact he hopes to have with his art.02/27/2024
- This HBCU Alum’s Baseball Journey To The Major League Baseball Front OfficeFrom Alcorn State University to the Pittsburgh Pirates, Brandon Rembert shares how his HBCU prepared him for the pros.02/27/2024
- Bevel Gifts Clark Atlanta University A Locker Room RenovationThe men’s grooming brand transformed the HBCU’s basketball team’s locker room into a state-of-the-art barbershop and lounge space.02/27/2024