Sen. Raphael Warnock has won the Georgia Senate election and election to a six-year term. That isn’t new information, but now a state-ordered audit confirms it.
A hand count of ballots in the Dec. 6 U.S. Senate runoff was almost identical to the original computer count in which Warnock, a Democrat, defeated Republican challenger Herschel Walker.
The Atlanta Journal Constitution reported that out of a randomized sample of nearly 165,000 ballots reviewed, the audit counted five more votes for Warnock and four fewer for Walker. According to the full count of computer-scanned ballots, Warnock won the race by more than 99,000 votes out of more than 3.5 million ballots cast.
“This audit showed once again that our system works and that Georgia’s voting system is accurate,” Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger said, according to the AJC.
Election offices in 138 of Georgia's 159 counties took part in the optional runoff audit that Raffensperger requested. State election officials are encouraging more regular ballot checks as a way to confirm vote totals. Georgia law mandates an audit following each general election every two years.
Election officials claimed that in many areas, the audited results matched the preliminary ones. Nearly 95 percent of the batches of ballots had no deviation from the original number of votes cast for each candidate.
- Ayesha Curry And Steph Curry Are Pregnant With Baby No. 4Ayesha shared the news while posing on the cover of her online magazine, Sweet July.03/01/2024
- Terrence Howard Faces $903,115 Tax Bill Amidst Claims of Injustice and Slavery LegacyThe actor cited “Four hundred years of forced labor and never receiving any compensation for it,” as part of his decision to avoid paying his taxes.03/01/2024
- Nas Joins Resort World's $5 Billion Casino Expansion In QueensThe vision of Aqueduct Park is to transform the casino, in the legendary rapper's hometown, into a full-fledged establishment that mirrors the company's properties in Las Vegas.03/01/2024
- ‘A Different World’ Cast Reunites For Epic 10-City HBCU TourThe crew from the beloved sitcom is back to promote enrollment at HBCUs and raise money for scholarships.03/01/2024
- Idris Elba Reveals How He Discovered His Role On ‘The Wire’ Was EndingStringer Bell, played by the British actor, is one of the most memorable characters from the iconic show.03/01/2024
- Kanye West Calls Out Ex-Wife Kim Kardashian, Demands She Removes Their Kids From LA-Based School“It’s a fake school for celebrities that are used by ‘the system,’” said Yeezy.03/01/2024