Law enforcement officials in South Fulton, Ga., are conducting an investigation into racist threats that were made against the mayor of the city.
According to WSB Radio, the South Fulton police department has confirmed that Mayor Khalid Kamau has received racist emails and the authorities are committed to addressing the incident.
“Our first and foremost priority is the safety and security of all of our public officials and our citizens. We take all alleged threats seriously,” Lt. Jubal Rogers said.
Rogers said that messages referred to the “KKK.”
“So, they were definitely racist. Both the voicemail and emails. One of the communications also had a reference to some KKK undertones, which is absolutely unacceptable and that can definitely be perceived as a threat at this time,” Rogers continued. “It said something about KKK style, which of course, can be perceived as lynching.”
Reshard Snellings, a South Fulton resident said he spoke with Kamau after he received the threats and that he was stunned by the messages
“It was concerning to me when he told me that he was being threatened,” Snellings said. “He did tell me there was some racial undertones to them. I just, um, we are in 2023; we should not still be dealing with this.”
“He is the mayor of our city. Even if he was not the mayor, no resident of our city should be receiving threats from anyone else,” Snellings added.
Along with the District Attorney’s Office, the police are working to determine what charges would be filed in the case.
In addition to receiving racist messages, Kamau’s tenure as mayor has been marred by a series of controversies including being arrested for trespassing and charged with burglary after he was discovered at a Lakefront property on Cascade Palmetto Highway in early July, WXIA reported.
He was released the same day on $11,000 in surety bonds and was ordered to undergo a mental health evaluation.
Additionally, five city council members sued Kamau in March to remove him from office alleging that the mayor “knowingly disclosed confidential information for his benefit since his election and recorded confidential."
- Kodak Black Delivers His Fourth Child HimselfThe Florida rapper welcomed the newborn on Feb.27.02/29/2024
- Tory Lanez Files New Appeal Over Megan Thee Stallion VerdictThe Canadian rapper is currently serving a 10-year sentence at North Kern State Prison in California.02/29/2024
- Opinion: Lifetime's 'Where Is Wendy Williams?' Documentary Should Raise Concerns Over Ethics and AccountabilityThe producers displayed insensitivity and a lack of regard for Wendy's well-being, and people should be outraged by it.02/29/2024
- 2024 NAACP Image Awards: 5 Instances Where Ari Lennox Redefined Modern R&BThe powerful vocalist has used her endearing music to usher in a new sound for modern R&B.02/29/2024
- Sanaa Lathan Stars In New Audible Original ‘The Justice’, Reveals She Wishes To Portray Her Character Onscreen"I want to play this in a movie. Let's put it out there," the actor manifested.02/29/2024
- 'Sistas:' Gary’s Lies May Finally Be Catching Up To HimGary’s secrets are much worse than they previously seemed after it comes out that he might be tied to a murder.02/29/2024