(Photo: Cindy Ord/Getty Images for 2015 Tribeca Film Festival)
After a dozen years together, Mary J. Blige has decided to file for divorce from her manager-turned-husband Kendu Isaacs.
While the details have yet to be dished out from Blige’s representative, according to TMZ, the court document cited “irreconcilable differences” as the reason for the split. The date of separation also reportedly was listed as “to be determined.” The report also shares that the singer requested Isaacs to not receive spousal support following the divorce and doesn't mention if there was a prenup or not.
The power couple wed in late 2003, and while they have no children together, Blige took on the role of stepmother to Isaacs’s children, Briana, Jordan and Nas, from the beginning of their relationship.
Back in 2012, Blige was hit with rumors their marriage was on the rocks and addressed this on the Wendy Williams Show, saying she would be a “liar” if she told her fans everything was “perfect.”
“We have situations just like everyone else,” she said. “We’re not out in public trying to kill each other, but it’s real. We love each other.”
Throughout their relationship, the work/life/love balance was at times a challenge for the couple, who at times were criticized for working so closely together. Blige once shared in an interview that the downside to their relationship was that “it’s on all the time.”
“When you don’t feel like answering your manager, he’s still your husband,” the singer told Stella Magazine. “If one of you don’t want to talk about something right now, you have to respect that. And you have to respect each other’s space.”
At the time of this report, neither Blige nor Isaacs have commented on the filing.
- Terrence Howard Faces $903,115 Tax Bill Amidst Claims of Injustice and Slavery LegacyThe actor cited “Four hundred years of forced labor and never receiving any compensation for it,” as part of his decision to avoid paying his taxes.03/01/2024
- Nas Joins Resort World's $5 Billion Casino Expansion In QueensThe vision of Aqueduct Park is to transform the casino, in the legendary rapper's hometown, into a full-fledged establishment that mirrors the company's properties in Las Vegas.03/01/2024
- ‘A Different World’ Cast Reunites For Epic 10-City HBCU TourThe crew from the beloved sitcom is back to promote enrollment at HBCUs and raise money for scholarships.03/01/2024
- Idris Elba Reveals How He Discovered His Role On ‘The Wire’ Was EndingStringer Bell, played by the British actor, is one of the most memorable characters from the iconic show.03/01/2024
- Kanye West Calls Out Ex-Wife Kim Kardashian, Demands She Removes Their Kids From LA-Based School“It’s a fake school for celebrities that are used by ‘the system,’” said Yeezy.03/01/2024
- Lil Yachty and Dr. Umar Johnson Debate the Use of the N-WordThe two engaged in the discussion on the Atlanta rapper’s “A Safe Place” podcast.03/01/2024