Highly outspoken Daily Show correspondent Jessica Williams has had it with outsiders telling her what's best for her career. Most recently, after making it clear that she was not interested in replacing Jon Stewart on the Daily Show, she was accused on having "imposter syndome," to which she replied with a quick shutdown.
In response to fans' suggestions that she fill Stewart's spot, Williams said in a series of tweets, "Thank you but I am extremely under-qualified for the job! At this age  if something happens politically that I don't agree with, I need to go to my room & like not come out for, like, 7 days... I am super not right for it, but there are quite a few people who are!"
Following her spirited-yet-honest response, a Billfold writer penned an article claiming that Williams was "the latest high-profile victim of imposter syndrome," gleaned from the very popular book Lean In, where the phrase is defined as a "well-documented phenomenon in which men look at their abilities vs. the requirements of a job posting and round up, whereas women do the same and round down, calling themselves 'unqualified.'"
After the writer further claimed that Williams did not understand "her own self-worth" and just needed a "pep talk," the correspondent directly responded to the writer on Twitter saying, "This is incredibly insulting. Because of my choice, you have diagnosed me with something without knowing me at all. For the world to see... I am a Black woman and I am a femininst and I am so many things. I'm truly honored that people love my work. But I am not yours. No offense, but Lean the F**k away from me for the next couple of days."
The Billfold writer has since apologized for her hash and judgmental words in an addendum to the original article.
(Photo: Astrid Stawiarz/Getty Images for Comedy Central)
- Tory Lanez Files New Appeal Over Megan Thee Stallion VerdictThe Canadian rapper is currently serving a 10-year sentence at North Kern State Prison in California.02/29/2024
- Opinion: Lifetime's 'Where Is Wendy Williams?' Documentary Should Raise Concerns Over Ethics and AccountabilityThe producers displayed insensitivity and a lack of regard for Wendy's well-being, and people should be outraged by it.02/29/2024
- 2024 NAACP Image Awards: 5 Instances Where Ari Lennox Redefined Modern R&BThe powerful vocalist has used her endearing music to usher in a new sound for modern R&B.02/29/2024
- Sanaa Lathan Stars In New Audible Original ‘The Justice’, Reveals She Wishes To Portray Her Character Onscreen"I want to play this in a movie. Let's put it out there," the actor manifested.02/29/2024
- 'Sistas:' Gary’s Lies May Finally Be Catching Up To HimGary’s secrets are much worse than they previously seemed after it comes out that he might be tied to a murder.02/29/2024
- Former WWE Star Michael Jones, Known As 'Virgil,' Dies at 61He was best known for being the bodyguard for the “Million Dollar Man” Ted DiBiase during his time in the WWF and WCW.02/28/2024