Photo by Brett Carlsen/Getty Images
Rev. Jesse Jackson and his wife, Jacqueline, were “responding positively to treatments” for COVID-19 and remained under observation Sunday (Aug. 23) at Northwestern Memorial Hospital, The Associated Press reported.
“Both are resting comfortably and are responding positively to their treatments,” the couple’s son Jonathan Jackson said in a statement, according to the AP. “My family appreciates all of the expressions of concern and prayers that have been offered on their behalf, and we will continue to offer our prayers for your family as well.”
The 79-year-old civil rights icon and his wife, 77, were hospitalized in Chicago after testing positive for COVID-19, according to a statement released Saturday (Aug. 21) by the Rainbow PUSH Coalition, the non-profit organization Jackson founded.
While the minister publicly received a COVID-19 vaccine in January, his wife’s vaccination status was unclear, the AP said.
Jacqueline Jackson has an unspecified underlying health condition, and Rev. Jackson suffers from Parkinson’s disease.
Despite his advanced age and health condition, the civil rights leader remained steadfastly dedicated to activism during the pandemic.
On July 26, Jackson was arrested during a sit-in outside of Arizona Sen. Krysten Sineman’s Phoenix office. He was among 39 people taken into custody, including civil rights leader Rev. William Barber, while protesting the Democratic lawmaker’s support of the Senate filibuster that would block voter rights legislation in Congress.
Johathan Jackson asked the public to “continue to pray for the full recovery of our parents.”
The family says it plans to release updates on the couple’s condition.
- Tory Lanez Files New Appeal Over Megan Thee Stallion VerdictThe Canadian rapper is currently serving a 10-year sentence at North Kern State Prison in California.02/29/2024
- Opinion: Lifetime's 'Where Is Wendy Williams?' Documentary Should Raise Concerns Over Ethics and AccountabilityThe producers displayed insensitivity and a lack of regard for Wendy's well-being, and people should be outraged by it.02/29/2024
- 2024 NAACP Image Awards: 5 Instances Where Ari Lennox Redefined Modern R&BThe powerful vocalist has used her endearing music to usher in a new sound for modern R&B.02/29/2024
- Sanaa Lathan Stars In New Audible Original ‘The Justice’, Reveals She Wishes To Portray Her Character Onscreen"I want to play this in a movie. Let's put it out there," the actor manifested.02/29/2024
- 'Sistas:' Gary’s Lies May Finally Be Catching Up To HimGary’s secrets are much worse than they previously seemed after it comes out that he might be tied to a murder.02/29/2024
- Former WWE Star Michael Jones, Known As 'Virgil,' Dies at 61He was best known for being the bodyguard for the “Million Dollar Man” Ted DiBiase during his time in the WWF and WCW.02/28/2024