Rising star Central Cee is the latest emcee making serious headway in the UK drill scene thanks to the popular short-form platform TikTok. Although he only recently started his career in 2015, he has already amassed a sizable fan base, including over 4 million followers on Instagram and another 3 million on TikTok. Users on social media have used soundbites from his zippy, UK drill-style smash hits ever since.
In 2020, he found breakthrough success with “Day in the Life.” This year at the BET Hip Hop Awards 2022, the 24-year-old is up for “Best International Flow.”
He’s up against several equally talented global artists, including Benjamin Epps, Le Juice, Black Sherif, Blxckie, Haviah Mighty, Tasha & Tracie, Nadia Nakai, and fellow UK star Knucks. Ahead of this year’s event, hosted by legendary emcee Fat Joe, get acquainted with this year’s nominee. And don’t forget to tune into this year’s ceremony airing Tuesday, October 4, at 9 PM ET/PT on BET.
He hails from “Wild West” London
Born Oakley Neil H T Caesar-Su, Central Cee grew up in Shepherd’s Bush, West London. Notable locals linclude director Steve McQueen and actor Paul Bettany
He found breakout success after five years
Central Cee established an impressive fan base following the release of several hit projects and influence on TikTok. However, in 2020 the promising emcee would find breakthrough success with the release of “Day in the Life.” A year-and-a-half later, he released “Doja.”The track features Eve and Gwen Stefani’s 2001 hit, “Let Me Blow Ya Mind.”
His debut mixtape was a success
On March 2021, the “6 For 6” emcee self-released his debut mixtape Wild West which premiered at number two on the UK Albums Chart and number one on the UK R&B Albums Chart. Standout tracks such as "Loading" and "Commitment Issues" reached the top 20 of the UK Singles Chart. The music video for the former has already received over 112 million views on YouTube.
He’s a relatively new act, but his passion for hip hop goes far back
The “Am” rapper initially appeared on the “Ain’t On Nuttin (Remix)” with fellow UK emcees and songwriters J Hus and Bonkaz in 2015. Two years later, Central Cee released his first studio project, 17. However, he’s reportedly been writing rhymes since he was eight.
He received a cosign from Big Sean
While answering fan questions during an #AskBigSean segment on Twitter, the Detroit rapper shouted out the up-and-coming star.
“‘Day in the life,’ Let's see if you really trap, Turn off the autotune, Let's hear how you really rap (Haha)" @Central_Cee and Dutchavelli one of the hardest out. Love to the whole UK,” he wrote to a fan who asked, “Do you listen to any UK artists?
Watch the Hip Hop Awards on Tuesday, October 4, at 9 PM ET/PT on BET
- Gayle King Helped Plan Son's Recent Engagement"And I now have a favorite daughter-in-law to be,” said the "CBS Mornings" co-host.02/27/2024
- Keyshia Cole Surprises Middle Schoolers With “Love” Performance During RecitalThe Grammy-nominated singer performed with students at the Ron Clark Academy in Atlanta.02/27/2024
- ‘Where Is Wendy Williams?’ Producers Claim They Didn’t Know The Famed Host Was Diagnosed With Dementia"If we had known that Wendy had dementia going into it, no one would’ve rolled a camera,” said producer Mark Ford.02/27/2024
- Diddy Accused of Sexual Assault By Former Male EmployeeThe allegations against the entertainment mogul come from a former producer and videographer who most recently worked on the "Love" album.02/27/2024
- Halle Berry And Halle Bailey Link Up At Soccer Game In Los Angeles"I was living for this moment!!" said "The Little Mermaid" star.02/27/2024
- Beyoncé’s ‘Texas Hold ‘Em’ Takes the Number One Spot On Billboard Hot 100The song is her ninth number-one hit on the chart and her first since “Break My Soul” in 2022.02/27/2024