Val Demings, the former Orlando police chief-turned U.S. Representative, demolished her Democratic Party opponents in Tuesday’s Primary elections, bringing in an overwhelming 85% of the vote. WIth the defeat of three opponents, including former state Rep. Brian Rush, she now faces Republican Sen. Marco Rubio in November.
Heavily favored to become the Democratic nominee, after declaring victory, Demings, who was once on President Biden’s shortlist for vice presidential choices, focused on the incumbent Rubio, tweeting
"Florida, we did it!" "We won the primary; now it's time to #RetireRubio!”
The congresswoman has also proven herself a formidable fundraiser. The New York Daily News reports her campaign took in nearly $50 million ahead of the primary and outspending her opponents by a factor of 170 to 1.
In a state that has voted in a Republican president and governor in its last elections, Demings, along with former governor Charlie Crist who is attempting to unseat Gov. Ron DeSantis, is seeking to bring out Democratic voters to turn the tide.
Rubio is still favored to win the election but Demings has been trending higher than him in the polls.
A poll released by the University of North Florida’s Public Opinion Research Lab shows Demings garnering support from 48 percent of the surveyed registered voters who said they would vote in the midterm elections. Comparatively, the incumbent Rubio received 44 percent support, while seven percent said they’d choose someone else.
- Gayle King Helped Plan Son's Recent Engagement"And I now have a favorite daughter-in-law to be,” said the "CBS Mornings" co-host.02/27/2024
- Keyshia Cole Surprises Middle Schoolers With “Love” Performance During RecitalThe Grammy-nominated singer performed with students at the Ron Clark Academy in Atlanta.02/27/2024
- ‘Where Is Wendy Williams?’ Producers Claim They Didn’t Know The Famed Host Was Diagnosed With Dementia"If we had known that Wendy had dementia going into it, no one would’ve rolled a camera,” said producer Mark Ford.02/27/2024
- Diddy Accused of Sexual Assault By Former Male EmployeeThe allegations against the entertainment mogul come from a former producer and videographer who most recently worked on the "Love" album.02/27/2024
- Halle Berry And Halle Bailey Link Up At Soccer Game In Los Angeles"I was living for this moment!!" said "The Little Mermaid" star.02/27/2024
- Beyoncé’s ‘Texas Hold ‘Em’ Takes the Number One Spot On Billboard Hot 100The song is her ninth number-one hit on the chart and her first since “Break My Soul” in 2022.02/27/2024