Based on the polls and bountiful fundraising, Republican voters aren’t taking the sexual allegations made against Herman Cain seriously and neither is he. Cain, whose supporters have likened the allegations to a “high-tech lynching” similar to the treatment they say Clarence Thomas received during his Supreme Court confirmation process, joked during a Thursday campaign stop about Anita Hill, the attorney and law professor who made similar claims against Thomas 20 years ago.
“Did you hear the latest about Anita Hill?” asked an attendee at the event in Kalamazoo, Michigan.
After doubling over in laughter, Cain said, “Is she going to endorse me?”
The crowd thought that the exchange, caught on tape by a Fox News reporter, was pretty funny, too.
It’s the second time this week that the presidential hopeful has made a callous remark about a woman in the wake of the very serious allegations he’s still facing. At the Nov. 9 Republican debate, Cain referred to former House Speaker Nancy Pelosi as “Princess Nancy,” which he later acknowledged was not very wise.
Cain spokesman J.D. Gordon told the New York Times that “it was a joke” and the candidate was “repeating what a supporter said.”
Last week, Karen Kraushaar, one of Cain’s accusers, was reluctant to speak publically about her claims because she didn’t want to become another Anita Hill.
(Photo: Scott Olson/Getty Images)
- 'Tyler Perry’s Sistas': Five Plot Twists That Could Happen With Karen’s BabySistas has so many twists and turns that it’s hard not to imagine the other crazy things that could pop up about Karen’s baby.02/22/2024
- DC Young Fly Pleads For The Return Of His Bag That Contained Jack Oh's Death CertificateThe comedian’s bag was allegedly stolen in Los Angeles at the Hollywood Improv Comedy Club.02/22/2024
- Wendy Williams Diagnosed With Frontotemporal Dementia And AphasiaHer medical team says both conditions have “presented significant hurdles” in her life.02/22/2024
- 6 Black-Owned Businesses HBCU Students Should ShopIn honor of Black History Month, we’ve compiled a list of Black-owned businesses students will love to shop.02/22/2024
- Whoopi Goldberg Defends Malia Obama’s Decision To Drop Her Last Name Professionally"The Color Purple” star clapped back at critics saying, “This is a grown woman! Leave her alone.”02/22/2024
- Snoop Dogg Pays Tribute To His Brother Who Passed AwayBing Worthington, the legendary rapper’s half-brother, passed away on Feb 16.02/22/2024