Photo: Frazer Harrison/Getty Images
Queen & Slim has been in theaters for less than a week, and so far, it’s received generally positive reviews.
However, the film stirred up fresh controversy when Twitter discovered an old casting call for the role of “Queen” in the film, which was ultimately portrayed by Jodie Turner-Smith.
Under the role’s description, Carmen Cuba Casting relays they’re looking for a female between the ages of 20 and 35 who is “brown-skinned” and, theoretically, if “she were a slave she would’ve worked in the fields.”
Queen & Slim, which also stars Daniel Kaluuya, is based on an original idea from bestselling author James Frey, which depicts a first date gone wrong after a couple defends themselves against a police officer. The pair end up going on the run after and the rest had fans on the edge of their seats. The film was directed by longtime Beyoncé collaborator Melina Matsoukas and written by Lena Waithe.
Needless to say, the offensive description got Twitter heated.
This isn’t the first time a film’s casting directors fielded an actress using a racist description. Back when the NWA biopic Straight Outta Compton was looking to cast “females of all ethnicities,” Sande Alessi Casting appeared to rank potential applicants by their skin color, calling for "A GIRLS," "the hottest of the hottest" that "can be [played by] black, white, Asian, Hispanic, mid-eastern, or mixed-race" women.
Subsequently, the listing became more specific of their breakdown of women:
“B GIRLS: These are fine girls, long natural hair, really nice bodies. Small waists, nice hips. You should be light-skinned. Beyoncé is a prototype here.
C GIRLS: These are African American girls, medium to light skinned with a weave.
D GIRLS: These are African American girls. Poor, not in good shape. Medium to dark skin tone.”
Do better, Hollywood.
- Princess Love Files For Divorce From Ray JThe star of "Love & Hip Hop Hollywood" broke the news on Instagram.02/26/2024
- 5 Things We Learned From the ‘Where Is Wendy Williams?’ DocuseriesThe two-part doc revealed much about the former TV show host's struggles with health, finances, and her bitter divorce.02/26/2024
- ‘Peetah’ Morgan Of Morgan Heritage Reggae Band Dies at 46No cause of death has been revealed.02/26/2024
- Ayo Edebiri And Da'Vine Joy Randolph Both Snag 2024 SAG AwardsLet’s show these sistas some love for their history-making achievements.02/26/2024
- Quavo Responds To Fan With Back Tattoo of Rapper's FaceThe loyal fan showed the Atlanta rapper his tribute to him in Milan, Italy.02/26/2024
- Jeffrey Wright Delivers Stirring Tribute To His Family At 2024 Spirit Awards“I am nowhere without you,” said the actor.02/26/2024