Gerardo Mora/Getty Images
While the statute of limitations seems to have expired on criminal charges against Bill Cosby, who has been accused by more than two dozen women of sexual misconduct, the sitcom star will have to answer to one of his accusers in court.
Hearings began on Thursday in a defamation case brought on by Therese Serignese, a Florida woman suing Cosby for defamation, who claims her reputation was destroyed after she was branded a liar by the comedian's representatives when she came forward with sexual assault allegations.
“It hurts to be called the things that I have been called,” the Associated Press reports the 58-year-old nurse as saying after the hearing, which was the first since the lawsuit was filed in December. “I take pride in my word. I’m an honest person. I came forward with statements of truth. I expect Mr. Cosby to be an honest person as well.”
The lawsuit focuses on the defamation allegations and not the assault allegations.
The suit also includes two other women as plaintiffs — Tamara Green and Linda Traitz — who also claim they have been slandered by Cosby’s representatives after coming forward with allegations.
Cosby's lawyers argued that the Cosby Show star was acting in self defense when he slammed the women in statements through his lawyers. He adds that he felt his character was under attack. Cosby was not present at the hearing Thursday, and his lawyers declined to comment. The women seek unspecified monetary damages.
(Photo: Gerardo Mora/Getty Images)
- Gayle King Helped Plan Son's Recent Engagement"And I now have a favorite daughter-in-law to be,” said the "CBS Mornings" co-host.02/27/2024
- Keyshia Cole Surprises Middle Schoolers With “Love” Performance During RecitalThe Grammy-nominated singer performed with students at the Ron Clark Academy in Atlanta.02/27/2024
- ‘Where Is Wendy Williams?’ Producers Claim They Didn’t Know The Famed Host Was Diagnosed With Dementia"If we had known that Wendy had dementia going into it, no one would’ve rolled a camera,” said producer Mark Ford.02/27/2024
- Diddy Accused of Sexual Assault By Former Male EmployeeThe allegations against the entertainment mogul come from a former producer and videographer who most recently worked on the "Love" album.02/27/2024
- Halle Berry And Halle Bailey Link Up At Soccer Game In Los Angeles"I was living for this moment!!" said "The Little Mermaid" star.02/27/2024
- Beyoncé’s ‘Texas Hold ‘Em’ Takes the Number One Spot On Billboard Hot 100The song is her ninth number-one hit on the chart and her first since “Break My Soul” in 2022.02/27/2024