(Photo: AP Photo/Vincent Thian)
Tennis icon Serena Williams just nabbed her sixth Australian Open singles title, beating Russia's Maria Sharapova 6-3, 7-6 (5).
In addition to waiting five years for this win, Williams had a tough year. According to USA Today, she fought through a severe cold earlier this month that directly affected her game, even causing her to cough between returns and serves during the final. The tennis star even revealed that she vomited after leaving the court during a rain delay in the first set.
Despite the setback, Williams pushed on as she has overcome an even greater deal in the past: "Growing up, I wasn't the richest," she said in her victory speech. "But I had a rich family in spirit and support and standing here with 19 championships is something I never thought would happen."
The 33-year-old tennis superstar is now tied with Helen Wills Moody for third on the all-time list of Grand Slam singles champions with 19 titles in total. In addition to this feat, she is also the oldest woman to reach the Australian Open singles final and win the title.
Despite the loss, Maria Sharapova holds no ill will towards Williams. In fact, she seems honored to play with "the best." "I haven't beaten here in a really long time," she said. "But I love every time I step on the court to play against her, beacuse she's the best and as a tennis player, you want to play the best."
Serena Williams won her very first Grand Slam singles title in 1999 at age 17 at the United States Open.
Congratulations to the six-time champ!
Click here to win a trip to the Super Bowl Gospel Celebration in Phoenix, AZ, plus 4 tickets to the Big Game.
BET Sports News - Get the latest news and information about African-Americans in sports including weekly recaps, celebrity news and photos of your favorite Black athletes. Click here to subscribe to our newsletter.
- Dylan Dilinjah Says Dave Chappelle’s Classic ‘Making the Band’ Sketch Ruined His CareerThe Brooklyn rapper said that the skit made it hard to get his career off the ground.03/04/2024
- Beyoncé Shares How She Shops Incognito At TargetIn a recent interview, the 32-time Grammy winner shared how she goes undetected at her favorite retail store.03/04/2024
- Scottie Pippen And Larsa Pippen Sued For $250 Million By His Alleged Ex-Girlfriend For Stalking And HarassmentChyvette Valentine claims she dated the former Chicago Bulls player between 1987 and 1993.03/04/2024
- Twin! Where Have You Been?! Muni Long Surprises And Inspires Screaming Brooklyn StudentsThe viral “Made For Me” singer stuns unsuspecting Brooklyn students.03/04/2024
- Rihanna Performs At Wedding In India For Multi-Billionaire HeirRiRi rocked the house while looking stunning per usual.03/04/2024
- Terry Crews Opens Up About Beating His Abusive Father On 'Club Shay Shay'The actor shared a big lesson on forgiveness and healing.03/04/2024