Former Minneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin, convicted in the murder of George Floyd, was stabbed at a federal prison in Tucson, Ariz., on Friday (Nov. 25), according to sources cited by the New York Times.
The Federal Bureau of Prisons confirmed that an inmate at the Tucson prison was stabbed, though the bureau didn’t identify Chauvin. The incident was swiftly contained, with no other injuries reported. Medical staff provided “lifesaving measures” before transferring the inmate to a local hospital.
Chauvin survived the attack. “No other inmates or prison staff were injured, and the situation was quickly contained, according to the people familiar with the situation,” NYT reported.
Floyd’s murder set off a flood of global demonstrations against police violence and racism the scale of which hasn’t been seen in generations. Following a high-profile, televised trial, Chauvin was convicted of second-degree murder, third-degree murder and manslaughter. He was sentenced to 22.5 years in prison in April 2021.
Three other officers who were at the scene of Floyd's death — Thomas Lane, J. Alexander Kueng, and Tou Thao — were also convicted of violating Floyd's civil rights. They were sentenced to three years, three and a half years, and five years in prison, respectively.
Chauvin, who knelt on Floyd’s neck for nearly ten minutes, recently sought to appeal his conviction, which the U.S. Supreme Court rejected.
As part of his agreement with prosecutors in his federal case, Chauvin was permitted to serve his sentence in a federal prison, which is known for being safer than state prisons. Before this arrangement, Chauvin was in solitary confinement for 23 hours a day in a Minnesota state prison. A spokesperson from the state prison system mentioned that Chauvin was isolated due to safety.
High-profile attacks on federal prisoners, like Larry Nassar and James Bulger, have occurred in recent years. The Bureau of Prisons faces a shortage of corrections officers, with about 21 percent of funded positions unfilled in September 2022.
- Ayesha Curry And Steph Curry Are Pregnant With Baby No. 4Ayesha shared the news while posing on the cover of her online magazine, Sweet July.03/01/2024
- Terrence Howard Faces $903,115 Tax Bill Amidst Claims of Injustice and Slavery Legacy03/01/2024
- Nas Joins Resort World's $5 Billion Casino Expansion In Queens03/01/2024
- ‘A Different World’ Cast Reunites For Epic 10-City HBCU Tour03/01/2024
- Idris Elba Reveals How He Discovered His Role On ‘The Wire’ Was Ending03/01/2024
- Kanye West Calls Out Ex-Wife Kim Kardashian, Demands She Removes Their Kids From LA-Based School“It’s a fake school for celebrities that are used by ‘the system,’” said Yeezy.03/01/2024