(Photo By: NBC/NBCU Photo Bank via Getty Images)
Since starting her Facebook Watch series Peace of Mind with Taraji, Taraji P. Henson has tackled some hard topics. For the season finale, the actress and activist will investigate the epidemic of violence surrounding trans women of color.
During an episode titled “Why Are Our Black Transgender Women Dying So Young?,” three women share their struggles with anxiety, depression and suicide. One of the women, Naki, recounts a harrowing experience she had while riding public transportation.
"I've been attacked on the bus," she says. "I was on the bus, minding my business, in my early 20s. He tried to talk to me and I ignored him and I turned my back. I was just not thinking about it, and when he got off the bus, he hit me in the side of my face."
She added: "Everyone was like, 'Oh my god,' and I'm just like, 'I'm okay, I'm okay,' And it's like, all because you wanted to talk to me and you found out who I was. The worst part is when you don't see it coming.”
“Okay so, yes, everybody on the bus, they go on with their lives, but then you're left with this trauma — now what?" Henson asked. "How does this make you feel?"
"That marked me," Naki replied. "And it caused a fear of any public transportation."
The Human Rights Campaign reports that the majority of transgender homicide victims in the U.S. in 2020 were Black and Latinx.
On Wednesday’s final episode of the season, Taraji and Tracie discuss with Therapist and Stanford University psychologist Dr. LaWanda Hill to break down how you can help break the bad cycles and improve the mental health of Black trans women.
Watch part one of the season finale for Peace of Mind with Taraji below, and tune-in for part two on Wednesday at 9amPT/12pmET on Facebook Watch.:
- Gayle King Helped Plan Son's Recent Engagement"And I now have a favorite daughter-in-law to be,” said the "CBS Mornings" co-host.02/27/2024
- Keyshia Cole Surprises Middle Schoolers With “Love” Performance During RecitalThe Grammy-nominated singer performed with students at the Ron Clark Academy in Atlanta.02/27/2024
- ‘Where Is Wendy Williams?’ Producers Claim They Didn’t Know The Famed Host Was Diagnosed With Dementia"If we had known that Wendy had dementia going into it, no one would’ve rolled a camera,” said producer Mark Ford.02/27/2024
- Diddy Accused of Sexual Assault By Former Male EmployeeThe allegations against the entertainment mogul come from a former producer and videographer who most recently worked on the "Love" album.02/27/2024
- Halle Berry And Halle Bailey Link Up At Soccer Game In Los Angeles"I was living for this moment!!" said "The Little Mermaid" star.02/27/2024
- Beyoncé’s ‘Texas Hold ‘Em’ Takes the Number One Spot On Billboard Hot 100The song is her ninth number-one hit on the chart and her first since “Break My Soul” in 2022.02/27/2024