(Wolf Blitzer, left, interviews Deray McKesson. Photo: CNN)
From Fox News to CNN, several major media outlets have come under fire for their coverage of the recent unrest in Baltimore following the death of Freddie Gray.
Critics argue that journalists at these mainstream outlets have opted to focus primarily on the looting and rioting taking place instead of the ongoing peaceful protests and larger systemic issues at play.
We've compiled some of the most telling interviews, in which local protesters and city officials call out high-profile reporters for their skewed reporting.
Community Organizer Deray McKesson Challenges CNN Host Wolf Blitzer During Interview
“You are suggesting this idea that broken windows are worse than broken spines, right?” local activist Deray McKesson asked Wolf Blitzer.
“And what we know to be true is the police are killing people everywhere. They’re killing people here. Six police officers were involved in the killing of Freddie Gray, and we’re looking for justice there. And that’s real. The violence the police have been inflicting on communities of color has been sustained and deep.”
Fox News' Geraldo Rivera Argues With Protesters on Air: 'Stop Blocking My Camera!'
After Geraldo Rivera got into a heated argument with protesters on Tuesday night, locals blasted the reporter for broadcasting "false coverage.” "Stop making money off of black pain," said another protester in the background.
City Councilman Rejects Journalist's Looter Focus, Turns Conversation to "Systemic Issues"
"When folks are undereducated, unfortunately they don't have the same intellectual voice to express it the way other people do, and that's what we see through the violence today," Baltimore City Council member Nick Mosby said during an interview with Fox News reporter Leland Vittert.
"We just watched this liquor store being looted, and there's a bunch of folks running in and out," Vittert said. "Is that right?"
"Is it right for people to loot?" Mosby responded. "No. I think you just missed everything I tried to articulate to you."
BET National News — Keep up to date with breaking news stories from around the nation, including headlines from the hip hop and entertainment world. Click here to subscribe to our newsletter.
- Ayesha Curry And Steph Curry Are Pregnant With Baby No. 4Ayesha shared the news while posing on the cover of her online magazine, Sweet July.03/01/2024
- Terrence Howard Faces $903,115 Tax Bill Amidst Claims of Injustice and Slavery LegacyThe actor cited “Four hundred years of forced labor and never receiving any compensation for it,” as part of his decision to avoid paying his taxes.03/01/2024
- Nas Joins Resort World's $5 Billion Casino Expansion In QueensThe vision of Aqueduct Park is to transform the casino, in the legendary rapper's hometown, into a full-fledged establishment that mirrors the company's properties in Las Vegas.03/01/2024
- ‘A Different World’ Cast Reunites For Epic 10-City HBCU TourThe crew from the beloved sitcom is back to promote enrollment at HBCUs and raise money for scholarships.03/01/2024
- Idris Elba Reveals How He Discovered His Role On ‘The Wire’ Was EndingStringer Bell, played by the British actor, is one of the most memorable characters from the iconic show.03/01/2024
- Kanye West Calls Out Ex-Wife Kim Kardashian, Demands She Removes Their Kids From LA-Based School“It’s a fake school for celebrities that are used by ‘the system,’” said Yeezy.03/01/2024