Photo (L-R): CBS & Zach Gibson/Getty Images
As a jury deliberates Derek Chauvin’s future, his legal team is asking for a mistrial because of U.S. Rep. Maxine Waters’ recent comments about the case.
On April 17, Waters said of Chauvin’s trial that if the former Minneapolis police officer is not found guilty, that "we've got to stay on the street, and we've got to get more active. We've got to get more confrontational. We've got to make sure that they know that we mean business.”
Chauvin defense attorney Eric Nelson argued that Waters’ comments could have prejudiced the jury and there should be a mistrial.
“We have U.S. representatives threatening acts of violence in relation to this specific case, it's mind boggling,” Nelson said to Hennepin County District Judge Peter Cahill.
Cahill denied the motion for a mistrial, but did criticize Waters’ comments.
“I wish elected officials would stop talking about this case, especially in a manner that is disrespectful to the rule of law and to the judicial branch and our function,” Cahill said.
"If they want to give their opinions they should do so ... in a manner that is consistent with their oath to the Constitution," Cahill continued.
That said, Cahill indicated Rep Maxine Waters’ statements might result in the trial being overturned on appeal.
Watch the clip below:
After 14 days of testimony, hearings and presentation of evidence a jury of 12 people are now deliberating the fate of former Minneapolis policeman Derek Chauvin, accused in the May 25, 2020 death of George Floyd.
Chauvin is charged with second and third-degree murder and second-degree manslaughter. He is facing up to 40 years in prison.
- Princess Love Files For Divorce From Ray JThe star of "Love & Hip Hop Hollywood" broke the news on Instagram.02/26/2024
- 5 Things We Learned From the ‘Where Is Wendy Williams?’ DocuseriesThe two-part doc revealed much about the former TV show host's struggles with health, finances, and her bitter divorce.02/26/2024
- ‘Peetah’ Morgan Of Morgan Heritage Reggae Band Dies at 46No cause of death has been revealed.02/26/2024
- Ayo Edebiri And Da'Vine Joy Randolph Both Snag 2024 SAG AwardsLet’s show these sistas some love for their history-making achievements.02/26/2024
- Quavo Responds To Fan With Back Tattoo of Rapper's FaceThe loyal fan showed the Atlanta rapper his tribute to him in Milan, Italy.02/26/2024
- Jeffrey Wright Delivers Stirring Tribute To His Family At 2024 Spirit Awards“I am nowhere without you,” said the actor.02/26/2024