A Black man was fatally shot by authorities in the front yard of his Decatur, Ala., front yard, but the family’s attorney argues he wasn’t given enough time to respond before they fired shots.
According to the Associated Press, Stephen Clay Perkins, 39, was fatally shot by police on September 29. Police report it all began with a tow truck driver attempting to repossess Perkin’s vehicle. After the driver reported to police that Perkins flashed a gun, he returned back to the home with authorities.
According to a statement from the family, Perkins’ truck was not in repossession, which initiated the dispute with the tow truck driver.
The family’s attorney, Lee Merritt, says footage from neighboring homes’ security systems shows questionable actions used by police when arriving on the scene.
“They jumped up. They shouted,” Merritt told AP, as a gunshot can be heard.
Merritt added: “The policy of not announcing yourself and creeping up into people’s onto people’s properties. They will tell you it’s for officer protection, so that they’re not ambushed, but what they did here was ambush Steve.”
According to station WAFF, former officer and cousin to Perkins, Marquinn Bergins, reviewed footage of the devastating night and said officers did not follow protocol.
“The officer yells a few commands… simultaneously shooting. That’s not how officers handle that. You have to knock on the door to make contact. They never knocked on the door to make contact,” Bergins said.
On Friday (Oct. 6), The Alabama Law Enforcement Agency investigating the case says there is no additional information to be released to the public at this time.
A vigil was held on Thursday night (Oct. 5) outside of Decatur City Hall as answers and justice is still being sought after.
Perkins was laid to rest on Saturday (Oct. 7) as hundreds gathered at Wheeler Chapel Church in Alabama to pay their respect.
Perkins leaves behind a large family, including his wife and two daughters.
This is an ongoing investigation.
- Former WWE Star Michael Jones, Known As 'Virgil,' Dies at 61He was best known for being the bodyguard for the “Million Dollar Man” Ted DiBiase during his time in the WWF and WCW.02/28/2024
- Kanye West and Ty Dolla Sign Sued For 'Unauthorized Interpolation' By Donna Summer's EstateThe lawsuit claims that the two artists used Summers "I Feel Love" without permission on their track "Good (Don't Die)" from their album “Vultures 1.”02/28/2024
- BET Talks: Torrei Hart Says She Phoned Ex-Husband Kevin Hart ‘Out Of Respect’ When She Decided To Join Katt Williams On Tour“There are children involved. I’m not out here to be messy at all,” she told BET.02/28/2024
- Lynda Gravátt, Acclaimed Broadway and Television Actress, Dies at 76The award-winning actress appeared in several productions on stages in New York and played a pivotal role in the Washington D.C., theater community.02/28/2024
- Rihanna And A$AP Rocky Star In New Fenty Short FilmThis power couple is unstoppable!02/28/2024
- Chanel Iman and NFL Star Davon Godchaux Tie the Knot in Romantic Caribbean Yacht Wedding"Together we will continue to move mountains and love each other through thick and thin,” said the supermodel.02/28/2024