Photo: Courtesy WE TV
When Kenyatta Jones grew tired of not scoring fashionable finds for the plus size set, she decided to create a line of her own. Now, the fashion designer is not only the founder of the first plus size fashion house, Bella Rene Clothing, but she also has a new reality TV series on We TV called House of Curves. Jones, who currently weighs 220 pounds, says she's had to reassure people that she's not promoting obesity, but rather providing a missing service for bigger women who want to look good.
As Jones told HuffPost Live, "Fashion just forgot about us," she said. What's more, the fashion industry seems to operate under the misconception that "fat" people are couch potatoes and not in the market for style. "They don't need clothes, all they do is eat Twinkies," Jones says, illustrating the mindset.
Jones' series follows the entrepreneur as she tries to make her way into the industry and busting the notion that fat people are lazy and don't care about their appearance.
"I'm not promoting obesity. I've been fat all of my life," Jones told TheGrio. "I just wish that someone would have given me something nice to wear. Because at my biggest I was 350 pounds. I'm just as confident then as I am now at 220… I'm short and I'm fat. So I need a certain type of clothing to make me feel good about myself; to even try to lose weight."
Get ready for the BET Experience, featuring Beyoncé, Snoop Dogg, R. Kelly, Erykah Badu, Kendrick Lamar and many more. Go here for more details and info on how to buy tickets. Sign up now to attend free film screenings, celebrity basketball games and more.
BET.com always gives you the latest fashion and beauty trends, tips and news. We are committed to bringing you the best of Black lifestyle and celebrity culture.
Click here to subscribe to our newsletter.
(Photo: Courtesy WE TV)
- This Week In Good Black News: Rihanna, A$AP Rocky in Fenty Film; Beyoncé Tops Billboard 100 With "Texas Hold Em"; Russell Westbrook to Build Affordable Housing in LAPlus, the Philadelphia Orchestra renames its concert hall after legendary singer Marian Anderson.03/01/2024
- Aldis and Edwin Hodge on Breaking Down Doors for Black Voices in Sci-Fi with ParallelThe brothers spoke to BET about their new sci-film.03/01/2024
- Wendy Williams' Publicist Regrets Being In Lifetime DocumentaryShawn Zanotti said she would not have participated in the docuseries if she had been aware that it wasn't going to celebrate the former TV personality's career.02/29/2024
- Method Man’s Daughter Releases New MusicGoing by the rap moniker Chey, her latest song “Boujee & Ghetto" has almost 50,000 views in the first week of its release on YouTube.02/29/2024
- Kodak Black Delivers His Fourth Child HimselfThe Florida rapper welcomed the newborn on Feb.27.02/29/2024
- Five Facts About 'The Oval’s' Javon JohnsonThe actor is passionate about the craft of acting and mentoring aspiring minds.02/29/2024